Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've read the rulebook a couple of times and am trying my hand at my own simple scenarios to get a hang of it.

Now the questions

1. I just had a squad with a HMG that passed a NMC by it's morale level exactly. Now according to NMC section in 3.2.1 page 5 last paragraph it says this
Quote:
If a unit passes a required MC by exactly the highest number by which it could pass the MC (after all modification), then the unit is considered pinned
Fair enough, I understand that. But what about the HMG that the squad was carrying ? Do the Pinned restrictions apply to both the squad and it's SW ?

2. Does the paragraph I quoted above apply to all MC checks a unit makes as a result of being fired on ? Ie if any unit is forced to take a #MC (cos its being attacked) and rolls exactly it's morale after modifiers are applied to the DR does it get pinned ?
Lets say a unit is required to take a PTC, in the PTC rules at the top of page 6 it says
Quote:
each target unit must roll less than or equal to his current Morale Level or be pinned.

So if a unit rolls the max possible to pass his Morale Level after modifiers are applied, does he become pinned ?

3. Is there any difference between a NMC and a MC ?

Thanks for any help folks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Hoo, doggy. Can't find a specific example, but even though 4.0 says the squad is firing the weapon, 3.2.3 specifically says it halves the unit's FP. A weapon does not add its FP to the unit, it has its own FP and together they form a FG. So I'd think no, the Weapon can't be pinned.

That makes sense to me since you pin a unit of ten by making them duck and cover and not all of them shoot, but the two guys on the MG are already prone and feeling happy about the big gun they are going to shoot at you.

A broken unit can't fire an MG though, because a broken unit can't fire, and a unit is required to fire the MG (lone MG can't shoot).

2) A PTC is not a MC. It is a DR that is tested against your leadership number, but that doesn't make it a MC. So you aren't pinned for passing it with the highest possible number.

3) A NMC is just a #MC with a zero for the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for the swift reply.

Your answers make sense, I just have one question -
Dorque wrote:

A broken unit can't fire an MG though, because a broken unit can't fire, and a unit is required to fire the MG (lone MG can't shoot).

So if a unit is pinned but not broken it can still fire the MG at full fire power, but can only fire it's own weapons at 1/2 fire power ?

But if the unit is broken it can't do shoot Geddit ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the 2nd edition of the ASL Rulebook, A7.81
1. Pinned infantry fires MG as Area Fire, (halved) must add +2 to its To Hit DR, (if they're manning a bazooka for example) and cannot attack with a flamethrower, molotov cocktail, or demolition charge. Your machine gun would also lose any rate of fire it had. ASLSK rulebook needs to be a little clearer on that, but your method of reading the rules is smack on - do what the rulebook says, and if the rulebook doesn't specifically prohibit you from doing something, you can assume that it can be done.

Since the ASLSK's are intended to be precursors, (or enticers if you will) to purchasing the Rulebook and Beyond Valor, I would assume the authors of the ASL Starter Kits would want players of the game to follow the Rulebook as written.

2. Yes

3. A NMC refers to a specific morale check, differentiating it from a 1MC, 2MC, etc. A MC refers generically to all MC's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergeant Mike is right:

(1) Assuming that the normal ASL rule for this did not change in ASLSK#1. Pinned MMC fire machine guns at 1/2 firepower.

(2) Morale Checks (MC) and Pin Task Checks (PTC) are different. Passing a MC by exactly the number you needed causes your unit to pin. Passing a PTC by exactly the number you needed is a pass with no negative consequence.

(3) MC refers generically to all kinds of morale checks (NMC, 1MC, 2MC,etc... but not PCT's) and NMC refers to a morale check with no modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Well thats that sorted

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer folks it's much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no ASLSK rulebook here at work, but I believe the other effect on Pinned units operating a Support Weapon (i.e. MG, MTR, Gun) is that they cannot maintain ROF. That privilege is for non-Pinned units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have no ASLSK rulebook here at work, but I believe the other effect on Pinned units operating a Support Weapon (i.e. MG, MTR, Gun) is that they cannot maintain ROF. That privilege is for non-Pinned units.
That's correct. (pg 6, 2nd paragraph)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lunt
England
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thankyou

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to remember:
If a unit becomes pinned in the middle of movement, it is no longer considered to be moving....so that unit is no longer subject to the penalties for FFMO/FFNAM. But, should it break due to another shot at them, they *are* considered to be moving, and once again subject to FFMO/FFNAM penalties.

The SK doesn't explain this in the "Pin" section...it's in the section about Def. fire...page 7 in SK 1 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.