Popular Tags: [View All]
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this is answered elsewhere and I missed it but -- What are people using for miniatures for C&C:A? Some of the pictures show stuff that looks to be from one of various Eagle games, while others show something else. I would love to replace my blocks with minis but would rather not break the bank doing so -- suggestions? I went to http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/ but could use furthre guidance. Many thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic miniatures are the best way to go for historical. They're cheaper, they're plentiful, and you can get dozens of different mini's.

Check out this site for searchable reviews and photos of plastic historical miniatures.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/

Something like the Airfix Romans set gives you a little bit of everything in one box, from footsoldiers to standard bearers to chariots. (this was just an example of a set ... they only give it a final review of 4 out of 10, so there are better mini's available)

Then, you can check out online sites like Michigan Toy Soldiers for price comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did include that link on the support web site. I also included the approaches of a person looking at 6mm figures and another at 20mm figures. The review site posted above is a very good source to start with. A lot of hunting is involved. I will be looking for approaches various people take and will be pleased to highlight them on the CCA support website for the sake of others such as yourself trying to make your way into this fascinating topic.

I also learned today that I might go to the trouble of maintaining the web site (WORK INVOLVED) and someone else just snaps up what I do, posts it here and gets the Geek Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not owning the game, I hadn't looked closely at the support site. I'm glad to see that you included a link to the plastic toy soldier review site.

That one review site has saved me tons of money over the years by allowing me to seriously scrutinize the mini's before I order them -- hey, just like the Geek! (can't imagine how much money BGG has saved me over the years!) Glad to see it was on your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, When I first set up the site (nearly two years ago!) I spent days searching for the fewest high quality links I could find. That one is absolutely great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this... cannot find the original source (sorry!)

Quote:

For infantry, I'm sure I'll use 2 miniatures per block, but I'll begin using a 1:1 ratio (because of my budget). Perhaps I'll maintain the 1:1 ratio for all the light infantry, which makes more sense.
For cavalry, elephants and leader's, the ratio will be also 1:1.

This is what I will use:

Roman:
2 boxes of Hät's Republican Romans Hastati & Velites. That will be 96 miniatures (it will be combined with the remaining miniatures of "Roman Catapults"):
48/24 miniatures for the 24 blocks of light infantry.
48/24 miniatures for the 24 blocks of auxilia infantry.

2 boxes of Hät's Imperial Roman Auxiliaries. That will be 48 miniatures (that will be also used for the Carthaginian Units:
16/8 miniatures for the Light bow infantry.
8/4 miniatures for the 4 blocks of light sling infantry.

1 Box of Italeri/Zvezda's Gaul Warriors. That will be more than enough miniatures for the 8 blocks of warrior infantry.

2 or 1 box(es) of Hät's Republican Romans Princeps & Triarii. That will be 96 miniatures:
64/32 miniatures for the 32 blocks of Medium infantry.
32/16 miniatures for the 16 blocks of Heavy infantry. [Painting the base of either blue or red will be the key difference]

1 box of Hät's Roman Catapults for the War Machine. (It also contains miniatures for the light infantry)

1 box of Hät's Italian ally cavalry (12 miniatures) for the 9 blocks of light cavalry.
2 box of Hät's Roman cavalry (24 miniatures) for the medium cavalry.
1 box of Hät's Roman Command (32 miniatures) for the Heavy Cavalry and the Leaders.

1 box of Hät's War Elephants. For the 4 blocks of Elephants.

The only thing that will be a problem are the Chariots. Perhaps the only way is a conversion.

Carthaginian:
2 boxes of HäT's Hannibal's Carthaginians Spanish Infantry.
2 boxes of HäT's Hannibal's Carthaginians African Infantry. Combined with the abovementioned Imperial Roman Auxiliaries, that will be more than enough for all the Infantry. One of the boxes can be swapped with a box of HäT's Punic Wars Carthaginian Allies.

2 boxes of Hät's Numidian cavalry for the 24 blocks of Light Cavalry.
1 box of Hät's Spanish cavalry for the 9 blocks of Medium Cavalry

1 box of Hät's Carthaginian Command for the Heavy Cavalry and the 3 leaders.

3 boxes of Zvezda's War Elephants for the 6 blocks of Elephant's (They are just impressive).

There is also the problem of Heavy Chariots...

One might also want Syracusan greeks, used in the first two scenarios (Akragas and Crimissos). Even though Roman blocks are used, I think that if you are buying some miniatures, buying greek miniatures for those scenarios is worth the effort, just for the sake of game accuracy.

That is:
32 blocks of Heavy Infantry
12 blocks of Auxilia Infantry
4 blocks of Light Sling Infantry
8 Blocks of Light Bow Infantry
4 blocks of Light Infantry
2 Leaders
(with 2 boxes of Zvezda's Greek infantry you have all of the above miniatures)

3 blocks of Medium Cavalry
3 blocks of Light Cavalry
(can be covered with 1 box of Hät's Alexander's Macedonian Cavalry)

I think this might be overkill; I am hoping to get away with about 2/3 of the numbers listed here... still not cheap, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Hat goes for $7.50 for "48 pieces" of Roman/Carthaginian infantry and ditto for 12 pieces of Roman calvary. Elephants must weigh more because they go for $8.5 a box. Though you can knock a couple of bucks per box off that on eBay ... even so..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OBrien
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone trying the Baccus 6mm? I think this would look pretty awesome, albeit a bit pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnypolite wrote:
Anyone trying the Baccus 6mm? I think this would look pretty awesome, albeit a bit pricey.

Yes, I am. See this thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95502) for detailed figure lists and the armies I am building.

Thanks, Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I've opted for 2mm Irregular. Mainly for cost and speed of painting - at 2mm you're not even tempted to do any detail at all, it's way too tiny, so just a big of dry brush of the basic colours and that's it.

Of course 6mm professionally painted will probably look much better - but I want to have my figures ready to play this year ...

I've spent just over £20 on figures, enough to cover all the blocks in the game, except the war-engines (didn't bother with those as there's no scenario/rules for them as yet), and about £2 on balsa, and that's it.

Plan is to mount the strips on 3mm balsa wood cut into approximately 25mm squares - so there's enough room for the stand in the hex, and enough room on the stand for the strip(s) and also a die. I've decided to use a die behind the figures to represent the hits, so a full strength infantry unit has '4' showing and you just rotate the die to show hits, remove the stand when you get to 0. I'm going to try with lights = 1 strip of figures, medium = 2 and heavy = 3, and also colour the edge of the stand with green, blue or red as appropriate.

As the range of figures isn't extensive I'll be using some of the same figures for both sides - and instead use the colour of the die to indicate which side the unit belongs to. It will be fairly obvious in play anyway, as the figure strip will be at the front of the stand facing your opponent and the back of the stand with the die will face you.

Anyway, once I've got the figures based and painted I'll upload a few pictures. I'm hoping the scale (2mm) will give the feel of large armies, but it might need more strips per stand, won't really know until I try it, get them based and painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zvezda has a new release of Republican Roman Cavalry (8038). For those who have gone the 20 mm plastic route, these figures are great sculpts and and the perfect time frame for upgrading your Roman medium and heavy cavalry units.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=ZVE&code...

Thanks, Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this under the 28mm discussion as well.
6mm

http://www.heritage-studios.com/customorders.html
D.F. Command and Colors custom armies
$213.00
Custom armies for Command and Colors: Ancients Roman and Carthaginian

These are Baccus 6mm which if you haven't seen them you should. The detail is fantastic and 6mm fills up the space better. I love DBA/DBM with 6mm because you can have a 'big' army with lots of guys without the extra space. Yes they are tiny. Yes they are hard to paint. Yes you can only tell the Napoleonic officers apart by looking for the moustaches with a magnifying glass but it's worth it isn't it. It also makes that 3ft rule of minis easier because they are that much smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to see companies offering armies for Commands and Colors Ancients. This shows there is a demand for it, and hopefully we will see retail miniature army popularity as we see for DBA and Warmaster. I hope they have lots of success with this.

At the same time, I do not know what the figure composition is for this army, so it may be a bargain. However, if you follow my Baccus army list in the thread mentioned above (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95502), even with shipping from Great Britain to the U.S., my list is cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heritage Studios is the USA Distro point for Baccus

Heritage Studios
36 Ash Drive
Jim Thorpe, PA 18229

and we are comparing plastic to metal. Either way I am sure both armies look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.