Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Both La Strada and Hey, That's My Fish seem to be abstract games in which a large part of the game is isolating/enclosing your opponents. I realize that La Strada has an economic piece, but track location possibilities seems key.

How similar are these games, and if they are similar, are there other games that are in that same cluster?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, Hey, That's My Fish would fit in famously with the GIPF series moreso than comparing it to LaStrada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely different. I agree that HTMFish does turn on being able to cut off your opponents on small floes. And it is abstract, although the penguins and fish are amusing, but it's rare to find a good multiplayer abstract game. [edit - I've not made it clear that HTMFish rocks! It is a very good multiplayer abstract game!]

La Strada may at first seem to involve blocking, but I think it involves more than that. I think that knowing when to save a few points over to your next run counts for more. Reading the map and deciding what can be reached quickly and what takes longer will work more than looking to block opponents. Allowing the other players into your towns hurts them as much as you. Being able to reach the more isolated places works best.

The tiles in La Strada offer either a straight on one side, or a curve on the other. The curve is 60 degrees, and players are surprised at how it doesn't quite allow them the blocking moves they expect. [edit - You cannot lay tiles unless you reach another town. Players think they can make circuitous routes to take up space and enter a town from another side, so blocking opponents choices. You can't! You always are forced to take to the short route, so usually 3 and possibly 4 players can contact a town.]

Reading the above, it all seems bleedin obvious, but the games are radically different, and both are very rewarding. If you are thinking of choosing between them, don't. Get both. HTMFish is very quick and easy and new players catch on quickly. La Strada is a medium game and rewards more attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit Jon! Now I have to go buy Hey That's My Fish! Thanks alot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.