Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amid the cries for RRT, I decided we’d take a break from it before we wore its welcome out, and pulled out Alhambra. In my read through of the rules, it looked like Palazzo meets Carcassone. It pretty much played out that way too. I won the first game, concentrating on having the correct change to maximize my turns, and getting into the 3 best buildings (pink, green and white). My wall was good but not the best, but I did take 1st in pink and 1st or 2nd in white, which was enough to win the game. The final was me, Gamer, Pez, Crystal, Beckwith.

The game went very well, and everyone enjoyed it enough to play another game of it. I ended up losing this one, or very nearly so, with Beckwith coming in first. I only ended up buying 7 tiles total in the game due to this problem or that. I could have had more of the crappy tiles, but everyone was so far ahead in them, I figured my only hope was doing well in the big 3 again. Even my wall stunk, as I only got 5 pts, while everyone else got 8-12 pts.

Everyone agreed that there’s a lot of luck with the tiles and the money, but enjoyed it none the less. I expect this will get some play for a while.

Next week, a crayon game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hasko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first game, I just tried my best to buy what ever I could, pairs or trips be darned, and it cost me.

The second game, I went in with a strat. See what tiles I could land the first few turns, focusing more on the big three. I was willing to sacrifice any scoring in the first round if doing so would help me in the second and third rounds of scoring.

As the second and third rounds panned out, it seemed to work. I grabbed a bunch of mezzanines and started plucking out towers when I could. Score wise I stayed in the middle of the pack but kept an eye out for not only my own tiles, but mentioning other players who were growing specific sets of their own, playing people to snatch up a tile in denial rather than in need. This didn't work too well, but a few people paid for a manor when it wouldn't do them any good, for example, just to force a tie.

As we emptied the tile bag of the second game, I had the most towers, and I was sure a victory was mine, based on the highest tower and highest mezzanine score, as well as a few second place matches to boost me ahead.

Alas, Beckwith had the most of the blue currancy, which was a tower, and when he placed it, it ended up putting him in a tie with me for towers. His bleeding off of my points, as well as his (whatever the white tile types are) put him over the top, myself in second place by about 15 points.

A few people commented that you really couldn't stratige in this game, espically one with 5 or so players like we had. I had to disagree, and while there was a lot I could not count on (That tile I need being around the next turn) not buying willy nilly, spending the early game building up your hand so you have more buying options as the game progresses seemed to help a lot. There were 2 seperate gos where I had three actions in my turn, from having a large hand with low and middle priced cards to get an exact purchase. Being aware of the number of and type of tiles left also helped me in the second game, knowing I should not waste money to build, or even block, a certain type of building since one person had 4 manors, for example, made choices like buying or taking money cards a lot easier to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.