Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Taught a friend of mine how to play this evening, and predictably he won by miles

Only had time for a single go through the deck, and he got the hang of it very quickly. None of his expeditions had any influence (he only drew some after he'd started them all), but he still managed to score on all of them and finished in the low 30s.

I'd fallen into a heffalump trap and no mistake. Having taken a punt on reds at the start (well you've got to pick something) I'd played the influence and the 4 I'd been dealt. Never drew another red

That -32 was enough to completely negate the rest of my hand, and then some, leaving me just below zero.

An interesting if brief session, and a good illustration of why we normally play 3 decks, as it suggests. Hopefully that's used up some of the bad luck so I can have all the good luck next time. Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quirkworthy wrote:
Only had time for a single go through the deck

Then the game is only 1/3 over then and should be continued at a later date meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm sure that I'll get a chance for a return match another time, but this is done. The game is played to an 'agreed number of rounds, usually three', so one round is perfectly acceptable for those with little time and a high tolerance of randomness.

I like to think of this more as a training exercise than a *real* match anyway. It hurts less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.