Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have this game, and am seriously considering purchasing it. But as a Christian, I'm not comfortable lying even in a game or role-playing situation. Are there times where the traitor will have to blatantly lie to the other players to keep his/her cover from being blown, or is it more subtle than that? Please don't bash me for my convictions. I'm just asking a serious question, since I would be playing with others from our congregation. I don't want to invite anyone to play a a game that might have some offensive situations arise. Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just be completely subtle the whole time, considering no one is asking every other person the question "Are you the traitor?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an interesting discussion of this topic in the following thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/763041

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If lying is out for you, then Shadows Over Camelot with the traitor is a game you should avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would qualify this: Winning as a traitor by lying through omission (ie not mentionning things you're not specifically asked about) or through induction (ie not correcting people when they read something else than what you actually said, ie hearing what they want to hear rather than what you say) is one of the most satisfying ways to play the Traitor.

Playing this way obviously requires a fair amount of deviousness and/or mischief, however. As such, it might, or might not, fit yours or anyone's specific tastes or beliefs. The best solution is probably to try and see a couple of games being played before deciding for yourself.

Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A traitor is often most devastating by playing loyally, then making a betrayal at a crucial point near the endgame. Often, I won't even look at my loyalty card until 3/4 of the way through the game - that keeps me playing honestly. Once I'm in a situation where I can do some damage, I look at the card - if it's loyal, I go with that, if it's the traitor, I'm in the perfect situation to strike when nobody expected it - not even myself!

It could be a good solution for you - you don't have to lie, just keep your loyalty card secret from everyone, even yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
A traitor is often most devastating by playing loyally, then making a betrayal at a crucial point near the endgame. Often, I won't even look at my loyalty card until 3/4 of the way through the game - that keeps me playing honestly. Once I'm in a situation where I can do some damage, I look at the card - if it's loyal, I go with that, if it's the traitor, I'm in the perfect situation to strike when nobody expected it - not even myself!

It could be a good solution for you - you don't have to lie, just keep your loyalty card secret from everyone, even yourself.

I like this! I have yet to draw the Traitor card in the games I've played so far, but will employ this tactic.

To address the original poster, if you couldn't be deceitful even in a light hearted game that is strictly about having fun, then you should avoid this game. You will however be missing out on a fantastic game that is full of intrigue and suspense. I often play this with my wife, children, and friends and have never run into any embarrasing situations where someone's feelings were hurt. It is only a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Müller
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
Often, I won't even look at my loyalty card until 3/4 of the way through the game - that keeps me playing honestly.

Well it may keep you playing "honestly" but not rules-abiding. The Set-Up specifically says, that you have to peek at your card at this time, to know your allegiance ;-)

SCNR,
Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
A traitor is often most devastating by playing loyally, then making a betrayal at a crucial point near the endgame. Often, I won't even look at my loyalty card until 3/4 of the way through the game - that keeps me playing honestly.

Oh, but there's some lovely evil to be wreaked at the beginning of the game, if you're the traitor. The Excalibur quest is the best opportunity to waste some outstanding cards, especially any extra Merlin you may have drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The traitor does things that are just plain devious. Without saying a word, the traitor's whole mode of operation is a lie.

But, I would like to comment that the game can still be very enjoyable without the use of a potential traitor. My wife prefers not to have a traitor in the game, so many of my games are solely cooperative. I enjoy the paranoia associated with a potential traitor, but I still have a good time without. The rules have suggestions to make the game more challenging (start at 3 life, not 4. Start without knight powers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have to agree that if lying or being deceitful or not telling the whole truth are issues to you then either play without loyalty cards or just play some other game.

Having said that, the traitor aspect is probably SOC's most universally liked feature so you probably should just skip this one altogether instead of playing the watered down version. I've heard some Knizia dude had made another highly regarded coop game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen anything offensive in SOC, it's just plain old fun. But the traitor definitively have to be sneaky and bad... arrrh And the knights are always suspicious of one another. While this makes for great mood and gameplay, it might not be your cup of tea.

To win in Lord of the Rings( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/823 ) you definitely need good moral values (friendship, patience, sacrifice, and even courage, cause the game can get pretty tough) just as the characters do in the story.

This game may be better for your game group, I suggest you check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we played Lord of the Rings and enjoyed it for a time. The cooperation encouraged in that game really made you feel like a sacrificial hobbit putting aside everything for the good of the team. But after you beat it, and learn how to consistently do so, then it becomes less exhilerating. I suppose this a downside to any cooperative game. It sounds like there's so much to like here in SOC, but to be safe, and to prevent me from potentially writing a negative article later about what my friends and I don't like, this one will probably not be purchased. What I will try to do is find a location where someone might be playing this so I can check it out. Thanks for all your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been the traitor once. I never lied in that game; I even played my hand reasonably well (I just had horrible cards), and I won handily, something like 8 black swords to 1 white.

What would you need to lie about when you're the traitor? Just don't tell the whole truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As another suggestion:
Tell everyone, outright, that you're the traitor. Once you're revealed, you stay in the game, and you can actually be more dangerous. And no need to lie.

Or, if you don't want to explicitly declare your allegiance, you can go to Lancelot or the Black Knight (quests which only one player can attempt at a time), play some cards, then leave, wasting those cards (they're discarded). That's a quick way to waste 4-5 turns, and someone will probably accuse you of being a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Mutombo wrote:
You could just be completely subtle the whole time, considering no one is asking every other person the question "Are you the traitor?"

This must be a group dynamic because we ask each other all the time -- or as is more common, we simply accuse each other over and over again: "Oh, man, you have to be the traitor to do that." "Only a traitor would make such a move." And so on.

To comment on a another player's post, the best traitor is one who's unrevealed as he or she can subtly work to throw quests to the forces of evil. Once you're revealed, you damage someone's hand each turn, but not much else.

You can play the traitor without lying, but I think that would lessen the game experience. Keep in mind, though, that you don't have to play the game with the traitor. A three- or four-player game will knights who are all loyal is still extremely tough to win. If you do get good at games like these, keep everyone loyal but start with only three life points each. You don't have to use the traitor to enjoy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling I'm opening up a whole can of worms here, but what about your Christianity makes you believe you can't act deceitfully in a game? The relevant commandment is about lying under oath, giving 'false witness'. It isn't meant to apply to board games! There are plenty of boardgames where being inexact about your position or plans improves the game enjoynent for everyone.

P.S I am not trying to insult your religous beliefs. I am also a Christian. If I'm breaking the rules of my religion, I probably ought to be made aware of this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But after you beat it, and learn how to consistently do so, then it becomes less exhilerating.

Well, my friends and I got to the point where we were winning almost 100% of our games, even with Sauron starting on 10. Then we got the Friends and Foes expansion and never bragged again... blush

It makes the game much more challenging and diversified, and more fun too. Can't imagine playing without it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The traitor needs to play deceitfully. If you just want to avoid a verbal lie, the whole group could agree to not ask each other questions that the traitor would not want to answer honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
caesarmom wrote:
Oh, but there's some lovely evil to be wreaked at the beginning of the game, if you're the traitor. The Excalibur quest is the best opportunity to waste some outstanding cards, especially any extra Merlin you may have drawn.

I disagree. Tossing good cards into the lake lets them get shuffled back into the deck, so that a loyal knight can draw them after the deck runs out. If you toss bad cards, and hold the good cards in your hand, the loyal knights can never get use out of them unless and until they figure out that you are the traitor.

Some of the most effective traitors I have seen have been ones who are dealt a lot of Grail cards, and simply hold them in hand the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hurd
United States
Gordon
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people seem to enjoy this game as an alternative to Lord of the Rings because of having a possible traitor in the mix.

You wouldn't HAVE to have a traitor, however... For some, this might make the game less interesting. But, if you want a more cooperative experience, forget the traitor card and simply work together.

(It is suggested to play the first couple games without a traitor anyway to help players learn the rules and mechanics of the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.