United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Example:

A line looks like this

Starting City - Link - Link - City - Link - Link - Ending City

It never says explicitly that intermediate cities count as links for determining the total length of the route.

Is the length of this delivery 4 or 5?

To summarize, when passing through a city, do you count it as a link?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfbrunner wrote:
Example:

A line looks like this

Starting City - Link - Link - City - Link - Link - Ending City

It never says explicitly that intermediate cities count as links for determining the total length of the route.

Is the length of this delivery 4 or 5?

To summarize, when passing through a city, do you count it as a link?

Thanks!!

None of the above. The answer is 2. A 'link' is not a tile but rather any number of tiles between two cities. So in your above example, the good will travel 2 links, from the starting city to the intermediate city (1 link) and from the intermediate city to the ending city (1 more link).

EDIT: To further elaborate, if for some reason you decide to build a track that forgoes the intermediate city, it's only one link even thought the number of "spaces" in the two routes (one with an intermediate city, one without) is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
It is hard to understand your question. What do you mean by 'intermediate city'?

I think you might be confusing 'link' with 'track tile'. A link will connect two cities no matter how many tiles it takes. So a link is travelled when you go from one city to another city.

So in your example it would be a two link delivery.

That is if I have followed the post properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
Beat by mere seconds!! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brunner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if it wasn't clear. I don't think 2 is right...

City (#1) (Red cube in it) - Link Tile - Link Tile - Yellow City (#2) - Link Tile - Link Tile - Red City (#3)

I am moving the red cube from City #1 to City #3, but I have to pass through City #2. I own all 4 of the 'links'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfbrunner wrote:

City (#1) (Red cube in it) - Link Tile - Link Tile - Yellow City (#2) - Link Tile - Link Tile - Red City (#3)

I am moving the red cube from City #1 to City #3, but I have to pass through City #2. I own all 4 of the 'links'.

No, you own 4 tiles that comprise two links. A link is a stretch of tiles that connects one city to another. No matter how many track tiles make the connection, they all still comprise just one link.

So, the red cube travels from City 1 to City 2 for one link and then from City 2 to City 3 for the second link. Whether there is 1, 2 or 10 track tiles between the cities, it is still just one link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
cfbrunner wrote:

Yep, it's two. Those two tiles between city #1 and Yellow City #2 is ONE link. As are the two tiles between the second and third city. Therefore it is a two link delivery.

Apparently you are confusing tile with link. A link connects one city with another city. Even if it takes several tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brunner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
-Cue big light bulb overhead-

AHA!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfbrunner wrote:

Sean and Greg explain links correctly - a tile is not a link unless there is only one tile between cities. A link is a connection between two cities no matter how many tiles it takes. In your above example you have a link between City #1 (red cube city) and Yellow City and one link between Yellow City and City #3 (Red City) for a total of two links. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second sentence in the "Build Track" chapter on page 6:
"A tile or series of tiles that connect one city to another is called a "Link"."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.