Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up LOTR - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition, so we played a couple of games when John came over.

Of course we tried the variant characters first, then played War fo the Ring and then with the standard characters last, so my memory of the first game is a bit sketchy. Of course, this one probably also has the most interest for people, so sorry there!

Neither game used the extra one-off cards.

Game 1 - Variant Characters

I played light and John played dark. I'd only played the base set in a couple of other occassions quite a while ago so I tried putting soem dieas together. Of course, neither of us really knew the characters at this stage.

I set up (I think) with Theoden eyeing across to Rohan (backed up by Elrond?) and Gondor and Smeagol on the other flank and Aragorn in the middle. Both Sam and Frodo were in the shire.

Early maneouring saw Wormtongue in Caradhas and coming out to probe. I think Smeagol got stuck next to him on the edge of the board and failed to do much from there. EventuallyAragorn killed Wormtongue after his retreats were closed by approaching minions of the dark lord.

Treebeard sprinted to Fangorn and found the Watcher. Both died.

Theoden had some success in Rohan and Sam started to follow him. Gandalf remained in the second row to support the troops and eventually moved up. However there was much concern about Saruman's location who could instantly slay him.

Aragorn eventually lunged and took out the WitchKing in Fangorn, while Sam approached and replaced the dead Theoden. Things were looking well ... except too many of Sauron's minions had made their way over the mountains. It looked like all would still be well as the way was cleared for Sam (Frodo would soon die in the Shire), but the Urak Hai charged right into the Shire. Before long, the Shire had been scoured and Sam was left to wonder what might have been ... one turn too late!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.