Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPONENTS
A Game Board (quad fold with depictions of playing cards laid out in a 10 x 10 grid - each card depicted twice, but no Jacks)

104 Sequence Cards (two standard decks of playing cards)

50 Blue marker Chips, 50 Green marker chips & 35 red marker chips

Overall the components are nothing extravagant, but decent.

So What's a Sequence?
A connected series of five of the same colored chip either up or down, across or diagonally on the board.

NOTE: There are four "wild" spots - one in each corner. When using a corner, only four of your marker chips are needed to complete a Sequence. More than one player may use the same corner as part of a Sequence.

OBJECT OF THE GAME
For 2 players or 2 teams: One player or team must score TWO SEQUENCES before their opponents.

For 3 players or 3 teams: One player or team must score ONE SEQUENCE before their opponents.

GAMEPLAY
First deal the cards as follows:

For 2 players 7 cards each
For 3 players 6 cards each
For 4 players 6 cards each
For 6 players 5 cards each
For 8 players 4 cards each
For 9 players 4 cards each
For 10 players 3 cards each
For 12 players 3 cards each

Beginning with the player to the left of the dealer and moving in a clockwise direction, each player selects a card of their choice from their hand and places it face up on a discard pile (players start their own discard pile in front of them visible to all other players) and then places one of their marker chips on a matching card on the game board. A player can play on either one of the card spaces as long as it is not already covered by another marker chip. Once a marker chip has been played, it cannot be removed by an opponent except when using a one-eyed Jack (explained below)

The Jacks
These are the keys to the game. There are 8 Jacks in the deck. The 4 Jacks with TWO EYES are wild. To play a two-eyed Jack, place it on your discard pile and place one of your marker chips on any open space on the game board. The 4 jacks with ONE EYE are anti-wild. To play a one-eyed Jack, place it on your discard pile and remove one marker chip from the game board belonging to your opponent. You cannot place one of your marker chips on that same space during this turn. You cannot remove a marker chip that is already part of a completed SEQUENCE. Once a SEQUENCE is achieved by a player or a team, it cannot be broken.

Dead Card
If you hold a card in your hand which does not have an open space on the game board because both spaces representing that card are covered by a marker chip (i.e. the result of Jack being played), you are holding a DEAD CARD and you may turn it in for a new card. When it is your turn, place the dead card on your discard pile, announce that you are turning in a Dead Card and take a replacement card (one card per turn). You then proceed to play your normal turn.

A few other rules:
If you table talk (i.e. give you partner any indication on what they should do, both you and your teammate have to discard 1 card and play shorthanded the rest of the game.
Also, if you forget to draw a card to replenish your hand at the end of your turn - it's lost (the first time we played this with our two children they both kept forgetting and ended the game with 3 cards each - half of what they started with) We consider reminding your partner to draw as table talk!

MY THOUGHTS
Overall not a bad game at all. The 10 minute playing time listed is short - it usually takes about 20 or so when playing with four players, which is what I think a good number for this game. 2 players isn't bad, but without a partner, it's less strategy and more cards (i.e. with 2 teammates, you have 12 cards between you as opposed to 7 for 2 players - many more chances for Jacks on both sides, as well as cohesive hands) The game says it can be played with 2 or 3 players or teams (up to 12 players). Never tried with more than 4, but I would have to think much more than 6 would be too much time between turns.

As a previous reviewer stated, Sequence is a good game to play with the children and yet has enough strategy to be fun for adults. There is quite a bit of luck but the short playing time make it a fun play. As it can usually be had for under $20 (for the basic game - there are deluxe sets and tins) it's a fun, quick game that is easy to learn and definately replayable. We often play 2 out of 3. I give Sequence a 6/10 - I'm usually willing to play, but would call it a decent game, not "good" as a 7 would imply - and there is quite a bit of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.