Thumb up
 Hide
105 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Crusade against EAGLE games, who wants to join??!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Eagle Games,

I love you but I hate you.

Since I bought Conquest of the Empire I am not myself any more. A long time I hesitated before buying either CotE or Railroad Tycoon. After reading Tom Vasels reviews I decided to buy CotE.

However, I was more concerned with the type of game than some other issues that might bother me....
I neglected the comments some of you made about the board size and the warping issue. I am not a whiner myself so I had reason to deminish these comments.

A mistake...
-After a day or two the three boards started to warp. To prevent it I placed some books on it but the second day Rome was pre maturely destroyed by a dictionary. A unfinished six player game was ruined because of my clumsinous. However this triggered by the warping, which was triggered by the ridiculous size of the board and the way the board is folded!!

-When I played another 4 player game -the board hung over of course- it was bumped mid-way. Not a problem...but in the heat of the battle, near the end it was bumped again and finished the game.... YOU TOO BRUTUS??!!
ANOTHER CANNAE......

Yes I can buy a wooden dancefloor and put the board on top to reduce the bumping issue

Yes I can put nails to the corners of each panel to prevent it from warping

Yes I could buy a bigger house/ table etc.....

The point is however: how much pleasure does a humongous gameboard add versus how much pleasure is lost??!!

My conclusion is: I am aware you can't satisfy everybody.
However, the size of EAGLE gameboards put, imho, more people off than it adds pleasure.

Solution:
Maybe you can make a seperate production line for Europe or make a deluxe version with HUMONGOUS BOARDS (currently available) and normal variants with just BIG boards.

Again, it is just some customer feedback and it is only a Grand Experience if you have the GRand space available.

A 25% to 30% smaller board would be nuch more comprehensive and I think would be a solution for the warping as well.

Maybe an interesting marketing survey to see how much damage / profit EAGLE games makes because of the boards.

Please note that the title was just to draw some attention to the article.

looking forward to hearing your feedback!!

Sincerely yours,

Harro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, for the warping board issue they deserve a verbal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the problem is not the size of the board. I have had big boards, they don't have to warp. THe problem is with the materials of the board, possibly the glue or the type of paper or gloss finish. The Railroad Tycoon board seems to warp when exposed to light or humidity and unwarp in the box.

Eagle games probably has changed method of making boards or changed supplier to save money. Instead of saving money they are getting a bad reputation again. Eagle has over the last few years published a few games that were not sufficiently play tested so that their rules did not live up to the fine look of the bits of the game. Now they have improved their rules but unfortunately for them they are producing bad components now(ie boards that warp).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed any warp in my RRT board, but I think I could live with it. I like my games HUGE. I know bigger does not equal better, but having grown up on Axis and Allies, Fortress America, and their ilk, I just feel better when the board is giant and the pieces are sculpted. Then again i've never tried to play these games on your average table. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own most Eagles Games (yes, I am admittedly one of their fans, and that puts me in the minority around here!), and recently bought COTE and have played two full games of it. No warping problems noticed to date. Doesn't mean other people haven't experienced it, just that I have not, so it doesn't happen in every case.

BTW - they did switch suppliers, and COTE is at least partially manufactured in China - one of the benefits of this move is that for the first time in my experience with Eagle Games, I did not have to spend hours and hours cutting pieces off of sprues before the first play - all of COTE's pieces were already separated and bagged when I opened the box - beautiful!!!

PS - As for gameplay for COTE - LOVE IT! Eagle's best effort to date, and fixes everything that was problematic about the original!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A 25% to 30% smaller board would be nuch more comprehensive and I think would be a solution for the warping as well.

I agree... I'd much rather have a smaller, more manageable board of higher quality. I was terrified to open my RRT game only to find a warped board (although it seems I'm not yet out of the woods).

In case it seem like we're only picking on Eagle Games, I'd like to point out these criticisms also apply to Fantasy Flight Games (warped boards & crappy cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My COTE board is just fine...

Look, getting a smaller board is easy; all it takes is a craft knife and a metal ruler. You could easily lose a couple of inches off each side, and a lot more along the top, especially if you cut out the turn order track.

Getting new friends who aren't as clumsy... that's harder to do. Maybe you can use the craft knife to convince your current friends to be more careful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Give me a bigger board any day. The game looks more impressive, and it's more fun to play. Therefore it gets more table time than a more average-looking board.

If I have to do a little careful reverse-bending on the board, it's a small price to pay, IMO. I've done this with plenty of boards, and never had a problem.

If they can solve the warping problem - great! If not, I'd still rather have the bigger boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both Railroad Tycoon and Conquest of the Empire on my own table (which in my opinion isn't small...) my opinion is that the board is too big. It hangs over the edge of the table about 4-5 inches on both sides, and finding a place to store cards, counters, trains, troops etc. is very difficult.

Having said that, this is not a complaint. If the board was 10 inches smaller, it would still be too big for somebody elses table. One can not please everybody. I was pleased with both games. No warping issue severe enough to get upset about with my copies either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the board was 10 inches smaller, it would still be too big for somebody elses table

Well, yes it might. But a standard table (at least here) is about 80 cm in width. It's not about making a board fitting on all tables, it's about making a board fitting on most tables. You'll always find a person not satisfied.

That said, I did not buy Railroad Tycoon because of the bord's size. If it had been smaller (small enough for my table) I would own it by now. Now I will be looking for a copy of Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games. No warping on the CotE game whatsoever. Haven't played RRT yet, but I did have it set up and run through...is this "warping" turning the board into a half-pipe? I have enough games from RGG, and other companies that I have to bend back the board on so it would stay flush on the table. No biggie.

The size of the board? For CotE, it's an absolute PLEASURE that the board is big. There is room for the pieces, it's clear on what armies are where, etc. I'd rather have the board too big versus too small where you can't fit pieces you need to fit into a space, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 60x36 table, and while the CoTE doesn't hang over the edges of the table, there is literally nowhere to put playing pieces or cards. We had to crowd everything onto the edges of the board and use extra chairs as end tables.

I traded CoTE for Age of Steam. If it wasn't for the enormous board, I probably would have gotten Railroad Tycoon instead.

And I don't mind games with big boards. I bought the big table specifically for those games. But the CoTE board is just too big. Not worth the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi rusty,

thanks for reply!

I think you missed the point, my issue with EAGLES is:

How much additional pleasure adds the size of their boards and how much extra does it add.

It does not have to do with clumsy friends. My point is that their size is extraordinarily big.

I love COTE and EAGLE games but this is a discussion if they can further improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Monty,

If you read my article I mention that I only use this title to draw some attention.

Recently I have posted two threads todiscuss the EAGLE boards but there
was hardly any response.
Great that the theme is being discussed here!

By the way, I missed your feedback regarding the following:

How much does a Huge board it add or not??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Monty,

Great that the theme is being discussed here!

By the way, I missed your feedback regarding the following:

How much does a Huge board it add or not??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bootleggers, but when I saw the Ticket to Ride board matched-up with RRT it was a no brainer - not bloody likely would that ever be in my closet full of games. It was too big, far too big. I have trouble with ticket to ride cards/trains on the side let alone half of a board. I think Ticket to Ride is the size to go with for a normal table. If it needs to be square, just square up that size board and don't add 4 inches more to each side. Well, maybe I could hang it on a wall as a nice conversation piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
The board's the reason I didn't bother with Railroad Tycoon as well. The board alone would take up my whole table, and make for a messy and cluttered gaming experience. Also, with limited shelf space, unnecessarily huge games are not preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
Hi rusty,

It does not have to do with clumsy friends. My point is that their size is extraordinarily big.

I'm not one to talk, but maybe you shoudl find smaller friends? How big is "extraordinarily big" ?

Barring that, maybe you could use that tacky stuff that sticks posters to walls, and use it to adhere your warped board to your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's clear at this point that Eagle is losing some sales due to the excessive size of their boards. Even though they're cool for those who have large enough tables (mine is), I think that Eagle would do well to consider the fact that slightly smaller boards are not likely to hurt their bottom line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is clear that the large boards are costing Eagle sales in absolute terms. Sure, some people on this board (you can count them on two hands) have stated they haven't bought these games because the boards are too big, but there are certainly likely to be people who have bought the games in part because of the large (and beautiful) boards, so who knows what the absolute net effect of the big boards is on sales. I just kind of find it amusing that many of the same people who would play these Eagle Games also play Axis and Allies, and one of the most frequent complaints I've heard about the Revised Version of A&A is that the board is too SMALL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
The Railroad Tycoon board seems to warp when exposed to light or humidity and unwarp in the box.

Then build a huge box and play inside...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Valar wrote:
Would you please change the title of this article?

Myself and a lot of other folks on the geek love Eagle Games, and feel they are one of the best game publishers.

This title is offensive and unneccesary.

Just because it's offensive to you doesn't mean he has to change the title. It will certainly grab some attention.

I don't currently own any games from Eagle, but I've read about this board issue a lot, and it's put me off buying them. Especially RRT. I'm just getting into Age of Steam, and the size of the game itself is a huge advantage over RRT.

But maybe they should go even bigger - make a Giganto-Huge-Normous version that contains a life-size map of the Eastern U.S! Each tile is a mile wide! Life Size Plastic Train pieces!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I didn;t buy it not only for its board size, but also because the pieces are so darned big. I'm not three, I can play with plastic pieces and not choke on them. You can barely keep score with the ginormous pieces on the slightly less ginormous board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s2alexan wrote:
Give me a bigger board any day.

"Bigger is not always better".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Leo, Dear Aaron

Thanks for the feedback on the true issue of the EAGLE gameboard size.

The spaces and artwork are great but the overdone non functional space around undoes the functionality and does not add at all to the game pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.