Subject: Variant using cool empty city markers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just thinking out loud here. Only a 'conceptual' variant but might give it a try after thinking it through some more.

With such effort put into the empty city markers, they are just begging to be given a more influential role in the game. So I was thinking how could you use them for cool stuff.

1. Factories. A player could purchase a factory for (10,000 or 15,000 probably) and place it on the city of his choice. The 'industrialisation' action would produce one random goods in that city every turn.

-good- Might make the southwest a viable option if you can't get long routes in the more populated areas.

-bad- Would it help the heavy areas just as much as the light? Would it increase the luck factor too much?

2. Water Towers. A player could purchase a water tower to place on a city that would enable a train to deliver one link farther than its limit. The idea being that the water tower lets the train go further and therefore deliver to a more distant city.

-good- Could have a huge impact on the middle game.

-bad- Would a nine delivery good be a bad thing?

3 Crossings. A player could purchase a crossing piece to place on the city of his choice. Afterward, every goods delivered to that city produces a random goods cube in that city. The idea being networking. Crossings implying multiple routes. Goods delivered to one city will in turn, through manufactoring, produce more goods to be delivered to other cities.

-good- Um... don't know any positive effects other than another viable strategy.

-bad- Would seem to help the east and midwest but not be a benefit to the poor southwest.

Just some thoughts. Now, if anyone wants to, take it and make it a workable variant blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, placing a crossing marker and then delivering to it would then remove the crossing marker (because the city would no longer be empty)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concepts, especially the water tower as it is. (If it would benefit all trains, would you allow players to share in the cost?)

I have some off the cuff ideas to throw out.

Instead of making a random good, maybe factories could simply pay one more income when delivering there?

Or maybe make it like a hotel (from the cards) so that only the owner (builder) of the factory would get the income?

If you're concerned with only helping the southwest, then only allow factories west of Mississippi?

Maybe restrict placement of crossing to cities that have three (or four) tracks connected to it?

Maybe a crossing could allow use of an opponent's link from that city and pay both the mover and the opponent an income for that link?

I look forward to playtest results! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
Good idea on the crossing. Would tone it down some from my idea. Yet would it be so weak that using it would be little to none? Maybe not.

And these are actually upgrades on not empty city markers now Would have to find a way to mark empty cities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
ConGregation wrote:
And these are actually upgrades on not empty city markers now Would have to find a way to mark empty cities...

Just thinking out loud.

Perhaps instead of buying these markers, they are still used and placed normally but then have game effects according to their type. The player that emptied the city chooses which type of empty city marker to use. Might keep them fairly week to keep from affecting game play too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in the file section to find Owl's House rules.
We implemented those empty markers and we never looked back. They made the game alive for us.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar thought with the water tower. By factory, I assume you mean the sand tower...or do you mean the roundhouse? I propose this for the pieces:

Crossing--you may deliver a like-color good through this city instead of stopping; engine limits would still apply.

Roundhouse--you may cross this town twice, or you may enter and exit this town on the same link; engine limits still apply.

Sand Tower--you score an additional point for delivering a good to this city.

Water Tower--you may deliver one extra link away than your engine level would normally allow.

If these are placed on empty cities as normal, then I would add a rule that you may only make use of one per delivery.

This wouldn't do anything for the SW, though. Oh well, let us know what you discover when you play your ideas out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Long
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
Alas, I probably won't be trying this out anytime soon. I just don't get to play the game that often to waste a play on 'testing'. Sure wish I was in a gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.