Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: frozen_in_time [+] [View All]
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is a game I know very little about. I know that it's a 2005 GMT card-driven wargame with high ratings, and that's about it. But that's okay -- something I especially enjoy about this series is getting a chance to take a look at games I would normally pass by. Here's the Snapshot:

Statistics:

Number of Views: 11160
Number of Ratings: 97
Average Rating: 8.49
Bayesian Average Rating: 7.85
Game Rank: 21
Overall Rank: 25
Standard Deviation: 1.00
Average Game Play Weight: 2.95
Personal Comments: 82
Users Owning: 177
Users Wanting: 49
Users Trading: 2
Total Plays: 194
Plays this month: 16
Wants Parts In Trade: 0
Has Parts In Trade: 0

Recommendations:
N/A

Forums:

Reviews: 1
Session Reports: 8
General Articles: 17
Rules Questions: 30
Strategy Articles: 3
Variants: 1
Announcements: 0
Image Comments: 4

Twilight Struggle has 14 Images, and 8 Files

Twilight Struggle appears on 37 GeekLists

-----

Frozen In Time: A BGG Snapshot is a series of articles capturing BGG data at a specific point in time. These articles intend to highlight changes over time, and may be followed up on in the future. I hope you find them interesting. I take Snapshots of games I think will show significant change in the future, although I may also choose games based on personal interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game will rise a bit more up the ratings. Not necessarily that it will stay there though, we shall see.
Obviously it is wargamers who are playing it at the moment, hence the Weight- will be interesting to see if that rises in a year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too think it may rise although it's already highly ranked so it's hard to tell. The streamlined mechanics, area control, hand management & theme may make Grognards out of many of the "Euro" lovers (such as myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Users Owning 177
No.of raters 97.

I think this is pretty good evidence the rating is going to be going up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Users Owning 177
No.of raters 97.

I think this is pretty good evidence the rating is going to be going up!

Actually, a game having more owners than raters is pretty typical. (Although this is a larger than normal owners-to-raters ratio.)

As an example, I did a quick scan of a few games I felt were relatively stable:

Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Lost Cities, Axis and Allies (the original), EuroRails, Heroscape, Carcassonne, El Grande, Samurai, Princes of Florence, HeroQuest, Memoir '44 and Risk all had more owners than raters. (El Grande had only one more owner than rater -- probably due to OOP status.)

Ticket to Ride, Power Grid and Ra had more raters than owners. This is probably due to them being available for online play. Of course, some in the first list are at BSW, too. These three having more raters probably has something to do with (lack of) availability for purchase, heaviness, and in the case of TtR... beats me. A smash-hit website? Easy interface (compared to BSW)?

Interesting note about the Weight. I think you're right, that probably will be rising significantly.

Thanks for the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things are looking up for Twilight Struggle!

Philip and John were right, Twilight Struggle did manage to rise even higher! Only 11 days later, it's already gained 42 new ratings, and risen from a Game Rank of 21 to 14. It's overall average has dropped 0.04 points, but sinced the "Bayesian" average is what's used to calculate the rankings, more votes = a better rank.

It's also been added to 11 new GeekLists, for an average of one GeekList per day.

Something that Aldie must have just added is a new Forum section: File Comments. Sounds useful!

-----

Statistics:

Number of Views: 14364
Number of Ratings: 139
Average Rating: 8.45
Bayesian Average Rating: 7.98
Game Rank: 14
Overall Rank: 17
Standard Deviation: 0.97
Average Game Play Weight: 3.00
Personal Comments: 115
Users Owning: 211
Users Wanting: 66
Users Trading: 4
Total Plays: 246
Plays this month: 67
Wants Parts In Trade: 0
Has Parts In Trade: 0

Recommendations:

N/A

Forums:

Reviews: 1
Session Reports: 11
General Articles: 21
Rules Questions: 39
Strategy Articles: 6
Variants: 7
Announcements: 0
Image Comments: 4
File Comments: 0

Twilight Struggle has 15 Images, and 9 Files

Twilight Struggle appears on 48 GeekLists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And we obviously did not expect that it would ever hit #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.