Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a new strategy last night, based on the something that happened in the last game of Caylus I played. In the last game, I was somehow way ahead, through several early Castle builds and a couple of Carpenter uses. I think it was the 1-for-1/2-for-2 building and the Lawyer that helped the most... about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through the game I made a horrible, horrible mistake, choosing to take the Gold Mine with my last worker instead of $3 income. Without the income I could not afford to move the provost to protect my 3-cube producer and therefore instead of sending 2 batches to the castle for 8 points and a favor, I lost 2 points. Furthermore, on the next turn - while I COULD have gotten into the castle so as not to be completely out of the Walls section for final scoring, I wouldn't have gotten the favor for building, so I decided to do something else instead.

So after a 13 point swing (total), I was suddenly "not winning" anymore. My favors to this point had all been on the money track, save 1 which was 'wasted' on a Pink cube real early.

The Mason had been turned into a Residence and there was no Architect in play. Fearing I would not be able to build a Blue building, I decided to run up the Building track at this late point in the game. I calculated it out and would have been able to get enough favors EXCEPT that someone jumped into the castle right before I did - a play I didn't really expect. This left me with no way to get enough favors for a Blue building (I think I'd already placed a worker on the 'buy a gold or 2' space). So I did what I could... I got all the favors I could, and used them to build a 4 point Brown building and 2 6 point Gray buildings for 16 points, and saved the 3 gold for 9 more. that was 25 points, compared to the Blue buildings my opponents built - and I came out ahead with some points to spare. Much of my success had to do with my opponents using my buildings and giving me VPs to do so.

I was pretty amazed with all the building I was able to do in the last turn or 2, so in last night's game I decided to try a new approach. My plan was to build all the buildings I could, and collect VPs when my opponents used them. I wanted to speed the game along a bit, which is contrary to a normal building strategy because it means less turns to get VPs from my buildings, but it also meant fewer turns for my opponents to realize the benefit from using my buildings (which would probably outweigh the 1vp).

In the first turn I took both carpenters, the Provost-mover, and a brown cube (not in that order), and I built 2 wood buildings. Right away I realized that I had made an error because I really wanted to build the Lawyer, but had no Purple. I built the Double Purple building and the 1-for-1/2-for-2 building. Each one was used by opponents a number of times during the game.

I was having a lot of trouble getting cubes to go in the castle, and so I simply didn't. I lost 2 points for not contributing to the Dungeon at all - which is sort of a 7 point swing really, as I would have gotten 5 if I'd contributed. That kinda hurt, but I was determined to stick to my guns. On the down side, my plan involved using the building track, and I was not earning any favors... It didn't help when my opponent Jumped on the Jousting Field turn 3 (I spent turn 2 getting PP from my building), so just to get that track started I used the Mason (bought by opponent) to bring out the Church. I think this was a mistake, I really wanted a production building (the GGP one).

Anyway, the game went on, I eventually got a favor here and there, built a bunch of buildings, and in the midgame was earning 4 or 5 points a turn off of other players using my buildings. My income was terribly low, and I played only 3 or 4 workers almost every time. I seemed to be contantly out of money, and I often took the $3 income space.

The Lawyer never did come out that game. I was able to get a Residence off the Building Track, and on the final scoing I build a 12 point Blue building. I had built all but 3 (maybe 4) of the gray buildings, as well as some Brown ones. I ended up losing by about 10 points. I had a total of 5 Favors - all on the building track, while the winner had something like 18 split between money, vps, and building.

I think my major downfall was income - I didn't have enough. Castle building in the early game would have helped as well - even just 1 batch would have been worth 7 points. I have some ideas on how to impliment this strategy again, maybe it will be more lucrative.

I STILL want to try an income-VP rush strategy, concentrating favors on the first two income tracks, building the Lawyer and a lot of residences, and the Church, and buying a lot of VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth-

I recently had some success with the Money-VP strategy. I was going against someone who was going strictly building favor track I would have won, but I made a couple of early tactical errors and I lost a favor or two.

A fun game because I feel like I can try a new tach each time and still have a chance to win.

I just realized that I bumped into you on BSW as I was replying to your report. Actually, I thought I recognized your name...duh.

I built: Farm 2C/1F, Mason, Lawyer, Workshop, Residence, and nothing else.

I did okay though...

I was kidding about the blind man and the seeing eye dog by the way surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max G
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small point, I dont think the mason can be turned into a residence as it is not a wood or stone craft building, it is a construction building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capeguy wrote:
Small point, I dont think the mason can be turned into a residence as it is not a wood or stone craft building, it is a construction building.

I'm pretty sure there's no distinction between the different Brown buildings and the different Gray buildings. They are all "Craft" buildings. The ones that produce goods are referred to as "Production" buildings, but only affectionately... not officially.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capeguy wrote:

The only building that cannot be built over is the lawyer itself. The mason and the arcitects can all be bulldozed. (In fact, I was in a game where, in succession, I built architect, used him, and built over him, all in a span of two turns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently tried tile builder, but, like you, fell a bit short (most of the shortage came with a stupid endgame trick/miscalculation on my part...). However, I did not double up with the build track route, and that may have cost me. I think the major problem was that one opponent was more interested in my gray farms than the other, so he often got 6 cubes to my 5 cubes + 2 VP (he won, I owned all 3 gray production bldgs, not to be expected often). If the other opponent had jumped more, the cube distribution would have been more even, and I would have come out ahead with 5 cubes + 2 VP to 3 cubes each opponent for the 3 workers in each turn set.

Some time, when the moon is right, I may try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.