Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
For the last couple of weekends I have played Risk LotR and have been surprised just how good a 2 player game this is .

1 variant - no more than 10 battalions per territory.

Known starting points, free territories to grab, neutral territories with blocking armies, mission cards, time limit, victory points - this is a far cry from the RISK that people love to slate.

I have WotR too but I like to game with my buddy and have a drink or two - WotR is just a bit too fiddly after a couple of pints whereas this fits the bill - loud music, beer, the smell of cigar smoke ( I have sworn off the weed recently)and a lightish, combative game - heaven IMO. Great bits too!

Risk is the Jordan of gaming - nice looking, big bits and gives a good nights entertainment, but you still feel slightly guilty liking it - WHY????

Perhaps I should be playing deeper, more complicated games that make me feel ever so slightly more intelligent - if it's not hard it's not good,right?

Sod it - I had fun muss shleeep, now - feel shick zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I played Risk 2210 Thursday night for the first time. Also the first time I've played a Risk game in about four years (although I did play Shogun just a few months ago).

I still don't know why people hate Risk so much!
Yeah, I know there's a lot of luck, and it's back and forth, and there's no real meat to it all...but not EVERY game has to be like that!
I think that these variants, with time limits and a lot of extras, improve the base game enough that they can be enjoyed even more so: they add depth, some more strategy, and just more 'fun' things.

I want to try LOTR Risk sometime too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dittos!! I am as scathing about original Risk as anyone, not because the premise was lame but because the implementation was. Endless, mind-numbing dicing against a stack of armies that could only be worn down two units at a time! Risk: 2210 and LotR Risk fixed what bothered me most about the game and added elements enough to make them both quite enjoyable when you are in the mood for something cleverly thematic but on the lighter side.

They both stand as among the worthiest facelifts of a classic mass-market game I've yet seen. I highly recommend them both to players who have sworn never to approach anything with Risk in the title ever again! Btw, I cannot be as enthusiastic about Risk: Godstorm - that turned out to be a Risk: Too Far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.