Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's a bit late to be reporting this, I think that the lack of a Stalingrad Session Report is a shame and have decided to change that. I have tremendously enjoyed all of the Russian scenarios that I have played (all but Gates of Moscow) but this one is my favorite. I haven't run into another M '44 scenario with the tension and back-and-forth nature as this one. I played as the Axis and my friend Jeff played as the Russians.

My initial strategy was to sacrifice one of my engineer groups to clear mines for an advance on the left flank and weaken the center and left flanks with artillery fire before moving my forces over the hills. Jeff's strategy was to play defensively and get into position to counter-attack as soon as there was an opening.

The initial part of my plan worked well and I cleared two mines and started pushing on the left flank while hitting and pushing back his troops on the right while the center was relatively quiet. Seeing an opening on the right, I moved some troops over the hill and through the cities. Unfortunately in my excitement I didn't see that the troops had pulled back into a vastly superior defensive position than they started in and my advance on the right faltered.

As the right side faltered, I was able to begin another push on the left which had the effect of securing the entire left flank for the Germans with the exeption of a Sniper. The Russians moved a couple groups of infantry over to that flank to prevent me from keeping the city medal.

With the score at 8-8 I saw an opening on the right where the big factory was held by a 1-piece infantry and a full-infantry unit on the other side. I played a Probe and sent two infantry towards the building, one taking refuge inside and the other on a close assault of the 1-piece unit. Sure that I had the game in hand I attacked only to be met with an Ambush card that hit and destroyed my infantry unit. The next turn his artillery took out another one of my units and he won 10-8.

This was a great game because neither of us were ahead by more than 2 medals at any point in the game. I had managed to secure the left flank but my rushed advance on the right hurt badly. The game was relatively quiet in the center but that was more because I kept hammering the flanks which forced the Russians to react. It was a wonderful way to kick off the New Year's Eve game night and served as a precursor to the "Overlord" (2-board) Stalingrad that we played 2 days later with 4 other people (scenario found on the Memoir '44 website, it's in French but the special rules are similar enough to the smaller version that playing it wasn't a problem even without knowing French).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again last night, this time as the Russians. My German opponent played a strategy of balanced attacks on all three areas while I played very defensive. While the Germans had some minor breakthroughs, I was able to keep everything in front of me and achieved a 10-6 win. I think that the best way to play this scenario as the Germans is to focus on one of the two flanks and only keep pressure on the other areas, especially don't focus on the center, until you can achieve a breakthrough on one side. Balanced attack strategies don't seem to work as well as in some other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, and I definitely love the Stalingrad scenario.

I played it for the first time last night with my friend Drew (I was Germany he was Russia). The battle began in the center, shifted to my left flank for a long time and finally was resolved on the right. My engineers never got to clear a mine field thanks to his infantry and snipers and my left flank was a very bloody affair. Finally, though, after I had six medals to his 5, I pushed ahead with my tanks on the right flank and eliminated two of his infantry, bringing me up to eight medals. He followed up with a massive counter-attack, took out two of my units and he was up to 7. Uh oh! I pushed forward with my tanks, going for the factory. He had an infantry on one hex, and I grabbed one with one of my tank units. He then smartly moved his infantry from a ruins hex to a factory hex, leaving only two ruins open which were impassable to my other tank unit. Crap!

I had two infantry units advancing and needed a couple of turns to get there. I was within one turn of seizing a hex when he played a Recon in Force card - one unit in each section! I had three vulnerable units - if he rolled well, that would be the game. He eliminated an infantry unit with a lone figure with his artillery. One down. He then attacked a unit with two figures on a hill with his infantry at close range. Two misses! That was all I needed. I had an infantry and tank in position to seize two of the hexes in the factory and win the game. It was a very tense game and one of my favorite Memoir experiences so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.