Subject: Quick Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Evans
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've several editions, and am not sure if it was in the first, and perhaps only in the first, but there was a way of playing with multiplayer crews, i.e., with individuals playing captain, engineer, helmsman, etc.

Natch, this was to be an enhanced play for role-playing, with characteristics effecting probability of success in each station.

Never tried it myself, but this seemed pretty unique for a tactical simulator. Only thing I've seen close was a 'Starship Simulator' magazine series, later published in book form, that was suggested using pre-PC computer and terminals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that capability was in ALL versions of the product - although to what extent, who knows. Might just be in the RPG side.

Basically, the 'Starship Tactical Combat Simulator' was not designed so much as a standalone wargame, but a 'plug-in' to FASA's Star Trek RPG to handle ship-to-ship combat. It was very much intended to be used in that context.

Although, of course, I'd bet it saw more use as a simple tactical battle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Lauber
United States
Osage City
Kansas
flag msg tools
Indeed, the role-playing element existed throughout this game's history. I have copies of each edition of this game, as well as each version of FASA's ST role-playing game. This was officially a role-playing supplement for STAR TREK: THE ROLE-PLAYING GAME. It was not intended to be a stand-alone boardgame. That's one of the reasons for the skill scores for the roles--which are exactly the same skills found in characters in ST:TRPG.

I had several conversations with the designers during the period this was in print. (I was rather cheeky, then, and it never occurred to me that these were people who were doing a job and I was interrupting their already too-busy days. I just figured I could pick up the phone and call them. Not that I would do that today with Knizia or Faidutti.) FASA carefully designed role-playing into it because their licence was exclusively for RPGs. WestEnd had the licence for boardgames, and there was quite a bit of mutual complaint to Paramount by the two companies, each accusing the other of crossing the line.

The ST: STCS rules were taken from the starship combat rules originally written in the 1st ed. of the RPG; extended, clarified, and made more playable. Ironically (IMHO) the subsequent editions of the RPG actually created a lower quality RPG product than the original, but each subsequent edition of the simulator made tremendous improvements.

Except some of the ship sketches just looked goofy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spank me for not making myself clear, and I'll prolly do it again, but while the game was always part of the RPG, with each character having to make rolls for their particular specialities, I thought it was only the first edition that broke down the ship displays so that each player had their own card to work from.

The engineering character had a display for ship's power, the helmsman for ship maneuvering, the navigator(?) for weapons control, etc.

If this is in error, deepest apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
rlaybeast wrote:
Spank me for not making myself clear, and I'll prolly do it again, but while the game was always part of the RPG, with each character having to make rolls for their particular specialities, I thought it was only the first edition that broke down the ship displays so that each player had their own card to work from.

The engineering character had a display for ship's power, the helmsman for ship maneuvering, the navigator(?) for weapons control, etc.

If this is in error, deepest apologies.

That was all in the core rulebook for the first edition of the RPG, well before it was broken out into a separate box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.