Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game twice and I was just wondering what people who have played more think about the rule that allows you to discard any tiles you win in auction that you don't want to use. I like that this allows you to play defensively, on the other hand it would be interesting if you only wanted a fifth floor tile to complete a palace but had to also buy some stuff you didn't want that might cost you points. In my two games no one has suffered the -5 penalty (and we are generally a cutthroat group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the discard, I could see situations arising, particularly during the III stack where someone might have to buy a tile, or take several at auction, that would lower his score by giving him a -5 or two. Since nobody would want to take that chance, the game would stagnate until the money stack was empty, and a player was forced to take a chance on drawing tiles.

The easiest way for this to happen would be if all the Palazzos already build had a 3rd floor or higher, and there were 3 floor tiles coming up in the next auction, and only 3rd floor tiles remaining in the general supply. A player drawing tiles might have to take a 3rd flooor tile for -5, or pair it with another tile for a zero.

Just because a penalty is never actually used doesn't mean that it is having no effect. I don't recall anyone being stuck with a -5 in the dozen or so games I have played, but the possibility of it happening was sure an incentive to take some moves rearanging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.