Subject: Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
This may be a stupid question, but I have looked through the forums and wasn't able to find the answer. Also looked through the faq, but still....no answer as far as clearly stating it.

Does Gandalf the Grey HAVE to be dead BEFORE he can become Gandalf the White? In other words, Gandalf the Grey must be removed, killed, destroyed, whatever, BEFORE Gandalf the White can be brought into the game...?

I read that if he is dead, he can be brought in. But then I also read that if he is in an Elven stronghold, he could be brought in. If his piece is on the board, then the Gandalf the White counter is placed underneath it.

So, how does that work? Can Gandalf be turned to Gandalf the White IF he is still alive? Or, does he need to be dead to change? And if he does not need to be dead, can he change ANYWHERE (so long as a Shadow Minion is in play)? Or only in Fangorn Forest or an Elven Stronghold?

Thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how it works:

1) There has to be a Shadow minion (Saruman, Witch King, or Mouth of Sauron) in play.

2) Gandalf the Grey needs to either be dead, or somewhere on the board.
a)If he's dead, you can place Gandalf the White in any Elven Stronghold or in Fangorn.
b)If he's on the board, you replace him right where he is.

In practice, you almost always want to wait until the Grey dies protecting the Ringbearers, instead of separating him from the Fellowship to get him onto the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
thank you very much.....that clears it up nicely.

Thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.