Hide
5 Posts

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ways to make the game more interesting in PVP. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tengeo Johusa
msg tools
I have discussed these with my friends, and we wanted this board game to have more unpredictability while still remain fair when pvping as a group. Thus we have come up with these conclusions.

Under the normal rules, a party of tank and dpser can really spell doom for anyone. Due to the fact that the Dpser can just hide behind the tank while dealing heavy damgage and choose to allocate the wound to the tank. This cancel out the weakness of a mage as he or she have the least amount of life.

In terms of real game mechanics or a more fairer gameplay , pvp should not be that case. As a smart gamer, we must first kill the enemy with the highest dps and the least amount of life or whoever we feels that might pose a greater threat.

To realise this aspect of the game play, we come up with a few ideas but narrowed it down to a single one. We called it the Initiative System
Under this system, in a four player pvp (2 per side). Everyone would roll an 8 sided dice during start of every combat round, the highest get to choose who he want to attack indivisually first. Then he or she continue the normal procedures of The Attack Phase and Defence Phase and resolved it between he or she and the target only. At this point of time, they are considered phase out of combat. The remaining two characters would challenge each other and thus ending one combat round. The System goes on until one side is down with zero players.

To prevent confusion and to add a more impartial gameplay.
Cloth wearer would get a +2 to their initiavite roll
Leather wearer +1
Mail wearer gets +0
Rogue with stealth ability get +3(This due to stealth must be unequip when use unless spec, thus it only works for the first initiative)

During only at the first combat round initiative rolls, the highest roll player gets a first strike advantage. He or she gets a choice of any colour dice and put 1 into the dice pool during the "place dice pool step".

If the result is a 2 man tie, one highest from each side. The first strike advantage is being rule out, and both of them must duel each other.

If the result is a 3 man tie, 2 highest from one side and 1 highest from the other. The first strike advantage still rules out, but the winner side can get to choose who participate for the duel. The choosen one would duel with the highest on the other side.

if the result is a 4 man tie, all must reroll again.

The beauty of this system.. is that it allow you to choose your enemy and how you going to deal your damage. At the same time, it prevent 2 chracter ganking on 1 character situation although your partner is around.

There would be other issues araising when spells and talents come to play a part. But right now, i hope i can get feedbacks from those Wow and tabletop gamers like me ! Thanks Blizzard for this excellent game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Wower wrote:
Thanks Blizzard for this excellent game!

Blizzard didn't make the board game. FFG did.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tengeo Johusa
msg tools
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
Wower wrote:
Thanks Blizzard for this excellent game!

Blizzard didn't make the board game. FFG did.

Mike Z

My Bad...shake
But.. Blizzard did created WoW, and did contributed to the making of the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
How about simplifying it a bit. Allow ranged hits to be selected by the attacker and keep the rest of combat the same. i.e. Ranged Strike Step hit tokens are selected by the faction infliciting the hits. In the Resolution step hits are selected by the faction receiving the hits.

This fits thematically as you can choose who you shoot at in a combat but not necessarily be able to reach a certain character in hand to hand. The armour tokens represent charachters intercepting your ranged hits or shielding certain characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your simplification a lot since it does work thematically and it allows for the group pvp to work pretty much like how it is supposed to in the original rules. However - this does give the blue dice far more power than they are supposed to, thus unbalancing the game. Now mages and other long rage characters just received a huge buff.

I think your idea has great merit but needs a small tweak - perhaps all blue dice hits can be used to deal direct damage to the character of the attacker's choice at a 2-1 ratio (use 2 hit tokens to allocate damage to a chosen character). This special damage could be resolved BEFORE the melee and defense tokens are used to cancel out damage.

I haven't played with this variant yet but in theory I think it would work. Perhaps the ratio might need to be changed to 3-2, but the concept seems solid, doesn't it?

Jon_1066 wrote:
How about simplifying it a bit. Allow ranged hits to be selected by the attacker and keep the rest of combat the same. i.e. Ranged Strike Step hit tokens are selected by the faction infliciting the hits. In the Resolution step hits are selected by the faction receiving the hits.

This fits thematically as you can choose who you shoot at in a combat but not necessarily be able to reach a certain character in hand to hand. The armour tokens represent charachters intercepting your ranged hits or shielding certain characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.