Popular Tags: [View All]
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an investigator must pay his last sanity token to cast a spell for combat does he go immediately insane or does the combat finish and then the investigator goes insane? Is the spell actually cast (assuming the proper checks are passed)?

It explicitly states that when using the Elder Sign Card the gate is sealed even if the investigator goes insane. Nothing is mentioned about casting regular spells that would cause you to go insane just by paying the casting cost.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Anderson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't cast a spell if it makes your SAN go to zero or below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
v0rtex wrote:
You can't cast a spell if it makes your SAN go to zero or below.

This is correct. If you think of it in terms of gameplay, casting an elder sign that makes you go crazy is fine, since nothing else is required of you at that time.. you placed the sign, and then looped out. However, if you cast a spell in combat you're expected to then fight after casting the spell, which you cannot do because you're now rocking in the corner eating paint chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldsmith
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't follow. If you cast Find Gate, Heal, or Bind Monster, you don't have to do anything else in combat afterward. Furthermore, going insane may be better than the alternative. Let's say you are fighting a Dimensional Shambler and have no real chance to win. Going insane and being sent immediately to the asylum is better than being lost in time and space. There are other odd cases...for example, perhaps you'd rather be at the asylum than the hospital; then casting Flesh Ward with your last sanity seems like a good play.

The rules don't say that you can't cast a spell with your last sanity, so it seems you can. You can't cast a spell with a higher sanity cost than your current sanity, of course.

--Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAMN!
I just got schooled by Jeff!

You're right, I believe. I should have been more clear. Here's what I meant to say: If you intend to fight a monster, you cannot cast a spell that drops your sanity to zero and then do a a combat check to defeat the monster (because you're eating paint chips).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffG wrote:
That doesn't follow. If you cast Find Gate, Heal, or Bind Monster, you don't have to do anything else in combat afterward...

--Jeff

But if you cast Find Gate with your last sanity, what happens first? You go nuts and get Lost in T&S, or you end up back in Arkham, THEN go nuts and end up at the asylum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If attempting to cast a spell causes your Sanity to hit 0, I think you don't even get to roll your Spell Check. According to the rules, to cast a Spell, you must "pay its Sanity cost and then pass a Spell Check". But if you hit 0 (Unconsicous or Insane), the rules state immediately lose possessions and immediately relocate to the proper rehabilitaion. It seems to me that the immediately happens before the then. So, as JeffG said, you can go insane if you want, but you won't be casting any spell. An expensive tactic, to be sure, but a valid one.

If one voluntarily goes insane to avoid a Stamina hit from, say, a Dhole, do you think the Dhole laughs at you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.