Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb

I haven't played this game and have been eying it for a while. However, this comment by Derk on Alan Moon's geeklist worried me:

Quote:
Hrmm.... Prior to this last weekend, I might've agreed. First turn, the red player takes two legions as his supplies and kills the blue player, moving back to a 'military' space and dumps two more weapons into the bag. The blue player then crosses the Med to hammer me, the black player. Before my first turn, Red's got two governors and twice as many weapons as the rest of us, and I've got zero governors and my guy is on the run already... And looking back at it, I can't see how every single game in the future doesn't start out that way... It's silly to not kill blue if you're red (and a very low-risk option too, I might add).

No-one commented on it there, so I'd like to bring it here for comment. Is this a problem with the game? Is there an adequate response, or is one player effectively out of it? Or will I just have to get someone I know to buy the game so I can try it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex

I haven't seen this approach played yet, but there are a couple errors. Red CAN NOT take 2 legions and add two cubes to the battle bag on the first turn.

Red starts with 3 gold & can gain only 1 more gold if they take 2 legions and attack blue's leader. (total of 4 gold)

The cost to take an action is (1st action 1 gold, 2nd action 2 gold, & 3rd action 3 gold) if you take an action where you are NOT 'leading', then the action costs and additional 2 gold. Since no player is 'leading' at the start, it appears they played incorrectly from this description.

Also, I'm not sure it would be in blue's best interest to attack black's leader on the first turn after being knocked out by red especially when
both of RED's gold provinces are mostly undefended and one of them has 2 gold on it. So my response, as blue would be to pick up the free gold from red, and move 2 citizens to my box in the political scale. Especially, since attacking black's leader doesn't really get me anything.

Another (better?) option, would be to retake the lost civil servant. Blue will easily have enough legions to either, take out red's leader or take the provence that red placed the former blue civil servant.

Alos remember that this is a 3 player game, so balance of power is the key, and if Red makes a strong power play at the start, black is blue's ally against red, and blue only helps red by attacking black.

In conclusion, I do not see this as a set or standard opening, nor do I see this as a flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:

I haven't seen this approach played yet, but there are a couple errors. Red CAN NOT take 2 legions and add two cubes to the battle bag on the first turn.

Red starts with 3 gold & can gain only 1 more gold if they take 2 legions and attack blue's leader. (total of 4 gold)

The cost to take an action is (1st action 1 gold, 2nd action 2 gold, & 3rd action 3 gold) if you take an action where you are NOT 'leading', then the action costs and additional 2 gold. Since no player is 'leading' at the start, it appears they played incorrectly from this description.

Is this correct? Red can take the two legions (parachutists from Rome). If red attacks blue, and then ends up in a military provence, they can spend 3 gold to take the lead on the military track (1 gold) and then add two weapons to the bag (2 gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Ackva
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
As you wrote, it's in fact possible to take 2 legions as supply of Rome and to upgrade your military skill and add 2 weapons to the battle-bag.

Although this part of Marc's statement is false, I would agree to his argumentation that this first turn isn't a perfect turn at all. It has, as every possible turn in the game, advantages and weaknesses as described by Marc.

Greetings,
Johannes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
consul_aquanius wrote:
As you wrote, it's in fact possible to take 2 legions as supply of Rome and to upgrade your military skill and add 2 weapons to the battle-bag.

Although this part of Marc's statement is false,

That's what I get for citing rules off the top of my head for a game I haven't played in a couple weeks. For some reason I was thinking you only put 1 battle cube in the box, instead of the 2 listed very clearly in the rules.

I do stand by my belief that this would be a sequence of suboptimal play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.