Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
First I would like to point out that I have played many live werewolf games at conventions for the past few years... But one thing that just never fails, when I play with new people or at a new place, I get very nervous... That is just how I am. The biggest reason I play live werewolf is it's a social game and I use it to help overcome my shyness... Then add in extra nervousness of meeting some of the people I play on the PBEM forums with, well it took me a good while to feel more at ease. Another reason I play is that I love traitor and hidden role type games... Simply put, werewolf is just a kick ass game.

One more thing before getting to my thoughts on *that* game, I had stayed up extremely late playing werewolf the previous night and pretty much had very little sleep for playing games and werewolf on Saturday night...

Ok, so here goes...
I got off to a rocky start since the mod did something he shouldn't have, influenced the game. He had made references to my first game played where I was a wolf with a newbie player and we won the game... With that, I was almost lynched the first day, but I was able to fight hard enough to stay alive...

So the days go by and I see that Marshall is talking with Sean alot so I try to get Marshall's thoughts... Talking to your neighbors is one way for a villager try to get evidence needed for informed votes, but he doesn't want to talk. Ok fine, I do my best to look around and figure things out for myself... I try to talk to the guy on my right and ask him if he is a wolf, he says no, of course. But I remember a previous game were he was a good wolf, so I keep that in the back of my mind for a bit.

Attention comes back to me *again* and I was able to fight hard enough to not get lynched, as a villager, I really wanted to find wolves not get lynched myself... Soon after that Marshall tells me that Sean is the seer. I thought oh cool, Sean is a good player online, so we should be in good hands... But that was it, for a few more day cycles, little else was said to me... I decide to test a theory figuring Sean would probably hit on a wolf anytime now, so I hint to the guy to the right that I know who the seer is and try to gauge his reaction... He played it fairly cool...

The next night Marshall is targeted, ok... At first I think maybe the wolves noticed all of their talking going on and was trying to hit a potential threat... At that point, Sean tells me everything he knows, hasn't hit a wolf but can clear lots of villagers... So I memorize the villagers, we mislynch again and Sean is gone that night... Here's where I felt my biggest mistake was.. Naming all of the innocent's right off... But I am thinking, late night, low sleep = bad memory for me, so I wanted to make sure that got out correctly. I really should have let people talk to get evidence going and *then* pointed out the innocents... Yet again, people wanted to target me because they thought since I knew Sean to be the seer that I was a wolf... I fought and fought by keep saying that I knew *very* early in the game and the seer would have been dead earlier if I was a wolf...

By that time I am very sure the guy to my right is a wolf based on that Sean was targeted right after Marshall... But I also knew there were 2 other wolves around, so I thought of a plan... I would give some heat to the guy and see who might try to jump to his defense... This is where I really messed up with my little plan... (Remember the very tired part) Well I didn't look around the room well enough to get my evidence I wanted shake ... And by the time I *was* trying to get the guy nominated for lynching, someone else was nom'ed and seconded (by the dude's wolf buddies, I have no doubt)... So I think, great my attempt to wrangle up some wolves falls mostly on deaf ears... But luckily, our great hero of the game, Giles, is sitting on the other side of the wolf... I had been talking to him some throughout the game and since he was seer cleared, I trusted him fully... I was pretty sure that I was loud enough for him to hear me with my accusation of the wolf... Here is my second mistake of the game, not yelling out don't lynch, I have good evidence on a wolf, but we lynched another innocent... after a oh sh&@ moment, as best and quietly as I could, which I shouldn't have because it was nightfall time, I told Giles over and over that the guy was a wolf...

So of course, that night I am targeted... So I watch from the sidelines... And watch Giles work his magic... And why the wolves didn't get him when he helped to get the first wolf, I still don't know... but Giles did it, he helped get each and every wolf left in the game... Boom, boom, boom!

Right after game ends is when I turn to look to see if Marshall and Sean are still watching, I couldn't bear to look earlier since it was my leaking info that got the eliminated... And as soon as I turn around there they are both together literally wringing my neck. blush Oh of course I was way too embarrassed and nervous to tell my side then, but now it's out... finally

[xand can breath easier now]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear you tell the story. That was a memorable game that's for sure. And in the end the good guys won right?

I can hardly wait to the next BGG.con. This time we'll play some T&E too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deal! You can kick my butt in E&T Hopefully, I will get more practice in before then...

Yes, it was one of the most memorable games of the Con for me too... and yes, good won in the end cool

There were others that were unhappy about how long the game took, so someone suggested having 5 minute days... Oh, that was very interesting... Amazingly, the village did win more than the wolves...
Made for more games played and better chance at getting something other than villager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack! I put up links *to* this reply, but didn't put up link's here pointing to what the heck I am rambling about...

First there was Marshall's Geek List from hence my post above comes from ... So here it is, item #10, btw:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Which I really should have replied a few months ago... Have I mentioned I am a good procrastinator?

And then Marshall's teasing me on the BGG News thread prompted me into *finally* telling my side of that game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/792558#792558

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:

There were others that were unhappy about how long the game took, so someone suggested having 5 minute days...

Well, you hate to cut the game off for the people who are enjoying it. The lesson I learned is to have some filler games handy to play with the eliminated players until the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Well, you hate to cut the game off for the people who are enjoying it. The lesson I learned is to have some filler games handy to play with the eliminated players until the next game.

That is one idea, I learned to play Ricochet Robots after getting killed off early in a game at EuroQuest... There wasn't enough players to start another game of werewolf, so we either watched or played a filler game..

At BGG.Con, we had plenty of players for multiple games. Someone did have the idea to split up, but not sure why we didn't, maybe most didn't mind the larger games. I had plenty of werewolf cards, so wasn't because of that As long as I get to play at least 1 werewolf game with each of the PBEM players, I will be happy...

I am of mixed minds myself... big games certainly have their appeal, but some of the small games were not to be beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.