Subject: Where is my next $50 best spent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting Elasund: The First City but wanted to get a few opinions before I bought it. Should I get it or is my $50 better spent on something else? Should I wait for Caylus, get Reef Encounter or any other game, or just get them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Elasund, but Caylus and Reef Encounter are both outstanding games. One thing to consider, though, is that both Caylus and Reef Encounter are considerably heavier than anything you've rated on BGG, so you might want to try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
Make sure you find the best deal. Starting prices on the internet are $28.75 for elasund: the first city. Just something to keep in mind, perhaps it will convince you towards buying two games instead of one. Yeah... you know you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go and order games from GMTs P500 list!
http://www.gmtgames.com/p500/gmtp50.asp

I recommend Unhappy King Charles and Winds of Plunder

(I have them on order, you see)

Ok. Seriously, I am not so sure about Elassund...seems they are millking the Catan cow dry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I am not so sure about Elassund...seems they are millking the Catan cow dry

Elasund is a pretty good game. Nothing like the other Catan games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three are great games. I would not wait until March for Caylus, however. Since your wife liked Candamir so much, I'd get Elasund. It's a much better game than Candamir, which I also enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Looking at your ratings, I'd say: get Elasund now, Caylus when possible and skip Reef Encounter.
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played all three and love them all. Here are my opinions. Perhaps they'll help.

Elasund - The best thing Klaus Teuber has done in years. Much better than Candamir (which I see you've rated a 10). Very different from both the core Settlers games and Candamir yet retains enough of the Settlers flavor to be familiar. Simple rules. Lots of opportunities for player confrontation.

Caylus - Hyped beyond belief but mostly worthy of the hype. This is an exceptional game and sooner or later you'll probably want it. The new edition is now delayed until March so that may effect your decision.

Reef Encounter - Solid game. I love Richard Breese's stuff and this is one of his better games. It is more abstract than Elasund or Caylus and a little less accessible to the casual gamer. (Elasund is probably the most accessible to casual gamers.)

If I were you I'd get them all. If I had to choose only one right now it would probably be Elasund, merely because Caylus isn't available and I hate waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.