9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: possum-opoly, using the name XXXX-opoly??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Whan
Canada
flag msg tools
I am a new user here and I was curious to know if the board game possum-opoloy had to pay royalties for using the name? Are you legally allowed to use the name XXXXXX-opoly, without having any legal troubles?

I ask because I have an idea that will be using the same sort of name of XXXXX-opoly, and wanted to know if anyone here knows any information on the subject. I look forward to hearing some feedback on this.

Thank you,
Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
I've heard that as long as you don't use any of the trademarked artwork (Uncle Pennybags, etc.) or text, you're free to call it possum-opoly or choad-opoly or whatever you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,
You're probably best off talking to an attorney if you want the most accurate information. And nothing stops you from being sued, or recieving a cease and desist letter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you are best to seek legal advice, but this may be of interest to you:
http://www.antimonopoly.com/the_full_story.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh, and can 'someone' PLEASE send our "gal pal VAL" a 'copy' OF this "`possum~opoly" GAME, just for the "halibut"?
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Whoever owns MONOPOLY these days - is that Hasbro? - licenses the rights to use the -opoly gimmick, and they do so with a rather close eye on thsoe who try to do so without their permission. There is actgually a separate company for arranging this, but there are some rather steep licensing fees, and they do have some say in what content is. I'm sure that if you Googled "Monoply" and fouind a linkm to the publiosher, they would direct you to the people who could give you specific information. (I know these folks have their own booth at both Essen and Nurmburg game fairs.)

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
BergBROG wrote:
Whoever owns MONOPOLY these days - is that Hasbro? - licenses the rights to use the -opoly gimmick, and they do so with a rather close eye on thsoe who try to do so without their permission. There is actgually a separate company for arranging this, but there are some rather steep licensing fees, and they do have some say in what content is. I'm sure that if you Googled "Monoply" and fouind a linkm to the publiosher, they would direct you to the people who could give you specific information. (I know these folks have their own booth at both Essen and Nurmburg game fairs.)

RHB

Although what Berg says here is true. There is a company that will create different XXXopoly's for general consumption. It is not true that this license has to be sought because Monopoly is based on a public domain game and other games based on this public domain game are perfectly legal. So long as you don't use the tokens, images, cards, etc of the current version.

For more information supporting my claim. Read some of the articles about the recent plight of the game Ghettopoly via Google. They even got away with spoofing the art of Uncle Moneybags jumping out of the O in Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the folks over at BGDF.com (board game designer's forum)

Great resource and very helpful people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
A bit of general advice, especially when dealign with large coporations, such as habsro, etc. It's not whether or not you can win the lawsuit (which they will surely bring), but whether or not you can afford to defend it.

I would proceed very carefully along these lines . . .as any attorney will advise you.

And I am slo fully aware of the history of MONOPOLy . . . it's rather nefarious, but interesting.

I have actually designedf my own game based (almost entirely) on MONOPOLY . . .it's a sort of wargamers version, starring Napoleon, and called MoNAPoly. IOt's rather good, but I have little desire to go further with it than the "fun" level.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.