Subject: Quite possibly the shortest game ever. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wing
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
The gamer in our group, Todd, who owns A House Divided has just recently purchased it. Tonight he and I played four games, bringing our experience with this game to a whopping five matches. Now, understand, we are by no means wargaming amateurs, and after the first game we had a firm grasp on the rules and were already experimenting with approaches for both sides. The first game, a few nights ago, I was the Confederacy and lost. It wasn't an annihilation, but it was a sound defeat that took about two hours or so, rules explanation included.

Tonight, things were different.

We switched for this session. I started with Union, and played two games with them, winning both. The first game had been the ugliest so far, a 40 minute gut-stomp. Todd's rolls just weren't going well, and my dice were quite literally on fire (in the second match he only won TWO battles the ENTIRE game, one against a single militia, and the other he outnumbered my forces two to one and only came out with a single unit alive even with Lee's help). We switch sides, hoping that as the Confederacy the luck streak would get evened out somewhat by my having less troops to work with. Heck, we might get a good, long game out of it. We'd had a few short matches and were worried this might be too quick of a game. In jest, when we had set up again and were about to start, I said I would time it. When my watch hit 12:36 A.M. Eastern, I yelled "Go!" and the war started.

At 12:48 A.M. Eastern, the game was officially over. Twelve minutes and thirty six seconds. Todd had been utterly crushed in less time than it took him to drive over to my apartment.

He started by engaging my troops at Manassas Junction and Front Royal with a 2 to 1 advantage. The troop at MJ was killed quickly, while the troop at Front Royal killed one of his militia, then wounded the other, but Todd retreated quickly. He was promoted. "Oh, unexpected. That might help stem the tide a bit." I thought to myself. Ha. I moved nothing in the west, I simply moved the 3 Regular to Richmond, promoted someone in the west, then added my one militia to Richmond. Todd counterattacked at Fredericksburg. He had two 3's and two 2's, storming a single 2 over a river. I wound, he fails to kill my troop. I reinforce from Richmond, still outnumbered, but hoping to kill a few of his troops. They proceeded to wipe out the Union soldiers to a man wihtout a single loss on my side. By the next turn, I assaulted Washington with two 3's and a 2 against a lone militia he had there. Even after reinforcing with a 3 and 2 he had at Baltimore, I wiped him out without much hesitation. I had lost a single militia to his loss of 8 troops (militia and regulars) and the entire war.

Even after this terrible show of luck, Todd, being he masochist he is, decided to play once more as the Union (he lost that as well...it just wasn't his night). I guess he didn't read the suggested play time on the side of the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertaining report. Dice rolling can be so unpredictable, but then again so is war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.