Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
as always i'm trying to find new games to buy becuase i have too much unspent money. i'm looking mainly gor 2-5 players games although it much more important that the game would be good with 2 than with 5 becuase i rarely play more the 3 or 2 players. the game shouldn't be very complex, like WotR is but needs to be interesting. 2 and a half hours or less will be exellent. usually if i'm playing 2 or 3 we don't have more time then that. right now i fixed my eyes on:
antike
attike
through the desert
i also thought about caylus but i can always find someone that wnats to play it on BSW so i don't really want to buy it.

games that i enjoy:
caylus (on BSW)
Camelot legends
Carcassonne: the river
Diplomacy
Nexus ops
Blokus
Clue
Chess
bridge
TtR (for few games than i got tierd but on right mood i'll be happy to play it)
Yathzee (someitmes)

if anyone can suggest other game for the 4 i listed i'll be glad to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
old bag
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maharaja?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold chicken person, if you too much unspent money, there are a number of ways of solving the problemmeeple

I recommend GMT's P500 list. Not only can you order at a discount, but also you can help your fellow gamers get their wanted games into print.

Also, why not buy Caylus, seeing as you have the money and enjoy the game, it is a pit not to support the designerrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have too much unspent money, might I direct your attention to the sad, sad plight of certain of your fellow geeks who seem to lack adequate facilities for playing games such as Railroad Tycoon and Conquest of the Empire. (I even know of one extreme case who's got EuroFront II on pre-order despite not having a table large enough for games half its size; clearly this indicates serious & troubling emotional problems.) With your generous contribution, there's some hope that these geeks will be able to rejoin society as whole, healthy, happy people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
well i have 200$ which is not little for 13 years old (i have about same as my friends have). i don't have somthing special to do with it so i decided to spent some of it on boardgames..... i mainly asked what you thought about the 4 games i said above not how much money i own right now and how i should spent it. simply said it between the lines for no special reasons. i'll ask from you if you don't have comments about my question don't post.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
Look into Duel of Ages, too. It's a bit less hardcore boardgame and alot more fun theme. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6050 . The modular board allows for a different game every time. Tom Vasel has written a nice set of reviews (one for each of the expansions as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freezing chicken wrote:
well i have 200$ which is not little for 13 years old (i have about same as my friends have). i don't have somthing special to do with it so i decided to spent some of it on boardgames..... i mainly asked what you thought about the 4 games i said above not how much money i own right now and how i should spent it. simply said it between the lines for no special reasons. i'll ask from you if you don't have comments about my question don't post.

thanks

Boy, thats the way to make friends. Good luck finding somebody genuinely interested in helping you out now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert is a great game, and probably perfect for what you are looking for. It has very simple rules, but deep gameplay with alot of player intereraction. It is one of those uncommon games that works in the whole range of players, so it is good for 2-5. Some people feel like the game is too abstract, but that doesn't look like it will be a problem for you.

I wish I could recommend Antike. I liked the look and sound of it enough to buy it, but I haven't played it. Kind of pricy, though.

You might also want to check out San Juan. It is a card game that works well as a two player game and plays up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3+ player game you may enjoy is A Game of Thrones:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6472

As mentioned by others, I second Through the Desert and San Juan. They play well with 2 players, scale well to more, and are fun games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8217

Wizard Kings by Columbia Games may be worth looking into as well. Again, 2 players, scales well for more, and is farily simple when it comes to rules. If it appeals to you, CG ships internationally free if the order is $100 or more and they do offer a WK bundle.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/692
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7222
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7223
http://www.columbiagames.com

There's plenty more... good luck!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-5 players, I'd recommend Maharaja: Palace Building in India. It's one of the few 2-5 player games that really works with 2 players. Puerto Rico also has a good 2 player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jl4130 wrote:
freezing chicken wrote:

thanks

When I was thirteen (not THAT long ago, as I'm one of the younger people here), I don't think I ever had more than $20 at a time, and even then, I had to bust my ass for it..... Anyway, yea, I guess people, myself included, just got a bit surprised.
Anyway, since you mention friends, why not go all the way and do wargames! Well, maybe the more light and Euro-y ones, like Wallenstein (this will burn through you wad of cash pretty fast) or Friedrich, but wargames are great, and come on, when I was thirteen, smashing Nazis was way more exciting than some sissy Eurogame.

right now we have DIplomacy and we meet every few weeks to play it. usually i can't meet with more then 1 friends (somtimes i manage to bring another one a long) except in vacations. also wargames are usually long and again each one can play on diffrent hours except in holiday. diplomacy is enough for us right now becuase we don't play much. although antike looks good. anyone has comments about antike? is it good with 2 players?

edit: i just finished little research about E&T and it look good for 2 players, no that long and simple. what you all this about it?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
except new E&T that i thought about power grid get some great reviews, but is it actully good with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
freezing chicken wrote:

antike
attike
through the desert

Antike, while I would suggest anytime, seemed to me to work better with more people 5-6. I think for a sweet spot of 3 Attika and Through the Desert would be good. Also for three, you may want to look into either Knizia's Samurai which is back in print, or Tikal. I rarely play with 2, but I hear Caylus works well with 2, and for my game choice that shines with 2 and that goes to 3 is "Java" as it works very well with 2 players. A new one to watch when it gets printed soon by mayfair, with 3-4 players my choice of the year is Elasund: First City of Catan. Doesn't play just like Settlers, has some elements, but I find the gameplay intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphrat and Tigris might work with 2 players, it is a very good game with three anyway.

I suggest Lord of the Rings the Confrontation, since it plays very fast and you mention time is a factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
seems like most of you suggest Ttd. how is power grid though? i heard great things about it but i'm not sure it will work with 2..

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.