Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition of the New York Comic Con kicks off the end of this month at the Javitz Center. I was looking over the programming schedule and it seems there will be a decent boardgames presence (aside from the usual CCG and miniatures usually found at comic related cons). According to the schedule Avalon Hill will be running Vegas Showdown games for 3-5 players all 3 days, with the winner keeping the game ($3 entry). They will also have a game library all 3 days for you to "borrow" a game to play at the con.

The site also mentions other games companies such as Steve Jackson Games, Mayfair Games, Fantasy Flight and Out of the Box (again in addition to the usual Wizards of the Coast, etc).

Looks like an added bonus for any cross-over comic geeks that were already planning to attend.

http://www.nycomiccon.com/App/homepage.cfm?moduleid=2577&app...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games presence was lighter than I anticipated based on the information on the NYCC site (good thing I was going primarily for the comics) but Wizards of the Coast had a decent size booth with demos of about 5-6 games (almost all miniatures with the exception of Vegas Showdown). They also had a game giveaway event where if you demo'd at least 2 games in their booth and recieved the appropriate check off from the WotC rep who demo'd it, you got to roll a 20d for a prize. Each game you demo'd would also give you 1 bonus pt added to your roll (up to 5 bonus pts). Well after doing 3 demo's and debating whether or not to do a 4th I decided it was time to roll. I rolled a 12(+3 bonus pts). Turns out 16 was the cutoff for the bigger boardgames prizes (A&A versions, Swords & Skulls etc - no Vegas Showdown, Betrayal or Monsters Menace though). My 15 got me a copy of Giullotine. My friend who was with me rolled a 16 and came away with Axis and Allies D Day. Not bad considering we both invested maybe 30 minutes in demos.

They were also running Vegas Showdown games where it was $3 to enter, 4 players to a game with the winner keeping the game. Sadly I signed up on saturday for a game and only one other person signed up so we couldn't start the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 1 other person was me! when i signed up they told me they hadn't yet had enough people for a single game. part of the problem may have been that it was hard to find the gaming area with all the stairs and escalators roped off, and people not wanting to leave the floor since they might not be able to get back in.

at the wotc booth i demoed all 5 games but only rolled a 6 and came away with a magic starter deck. my friend rolled a 20 and got risk 2210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HA! Yep, I recognize the name from the 5-10 times I looped back by the table to check the list. I finally told them to take me off after about an hour and a half since I was going to be heading out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.