Found during my games that I really didn't like the randomess of the skill cards, as sometimes you get really bummer skills, or get a combination of awesome cards which makes your OL weep and cry. Also sometimes my friends just want to start with a particular skill in play, such as Vampiric Blood for pure role-playing purposes. Hence I made up this point-buy systerm for heroes instead of drawing 3 cards at random.
Rules for picking skills:
1. The hero MUST pick a total of 3 skill cards corresponding to the skill type allocation on his character cards.
2. The hero cannot exceed 7 (or would 8 be better?) points total for skill selection.
3. Telekinesis costs 1 more point to buy if Holy Aura is already picked by any hero, and vice-versa
4. Acrobat costs 1 more point to buy if the hero already has Swift, and vice-versa.
5. Battle cry costs 1 more point to buy if hero already has Knight, and vice-versa.
And here are the skill costs (tentative)
Ranged Skill Cards
1 pt - Deflect Arrows, Precision
2 pts – Cautious, Alertness, Ambidextrous, Marksman, Acrobat
3 pts – Swift, Crack Shot, Master Archer, Skilled
4 pts - Rapid Fire
Magic Skill Cards
1 pt – Willpower, Holy Aura
2 pts – Wild Talent, Divine Retribution, Mata and Kata, Vampiric Blood
3 pts – Prodigy, Boggs the Rat, Inner Fire, Telekinesis
4 pts – Blessing, Quick Casting.
Melee Skill Cards
1 pt – Enduring, Parry
2 pts – Cleaving, Relentless, Battle Cry, Tough
3 pts – Leadership, Weapon Mastery, Mighty, Unmovable
4 pts – Able Warrior, Knight
Heroes thus will have to choose 1 of 3 combinations (I think)
If using 8-pt allocation (probably in games for 2 heroes):
One of my Heroes got Rapid Fire + Vampiric Blood. +1 Fatigue per kill and pay 2 Fatigue for an extra attack was a pretty deadly combo.