Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there ever a time when it's worth it to pay 4 gold to build a city wall? (other than on your last turn to secure a victory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have lots of gold, but need influence.

It's also the only way to ensure that the pirate coughs up his booty in your direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood, and I'd pay the 2 gold rate for those benefits. But it seems to me that 4 gold gets you more benefit if you use it for building permits and buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Not if you have no building permits on the board and the only place to play them is under the rapidly-growing church (for instance), it isn't. It sometimes is worth the 4 gold just to get the influence card that's going to make it possible for you to play a building permit in a row you can actually use.

It's also often worth 4 gold to deny another player space to build his last tower, though mostly this isn't something you'd do in a 3- or 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to turn gold into influence is huge. Being able to have guaranteed points is huge. Having the opportunity to take two cards when a 7 gets rolled can also be a nice bonus. In over a half dozen games I have yet to see the city wall not get completed well before the game ends.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cost 4 gold sections missed by pirates
If you build a tower in the "cheap" wall section, that tower is vulnerable to the pirate showing up in the same row. Particularly since most people won't be able to build their third wall section until the only spaces left in the cheaper section are in the much rolled 5,6,8 and 9 rows, you probably don't want to build a tower there and have to pay the card penality every time the pirate is rolled. (Although another advantage of socking away victory point cubes in the walls in general is they can never be over built/destroyed by another building)

Instead, choosing to pay for a tower in the more expensive cost 4 side wall rows means those victory points cubes can't be targetted by the pirate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovan wrote:
If you build a tower in the "cheap" wall section, that tower is vulnerable to the pirate showing up in the same row...

Innovan,
I think you have your city wall sections mixed up. It's the 4-gold-cost section whose victory cube towers can be targeted by the pirate. The 2-gold-cost sections are on the safe north and south edges of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the directions, I believe you may be right, Joe. It looks like we got that reversed.

The cheap wall sections that can't be hit by the pirate look to be 2 gold, and their number scales with the number of players in the game. The sections that cost 4 gold appear to be land side between the two corners, can be targetted by the pirate, and are constant in number.

Hmmm... gonna have to think on this, since that changes the game some. If so, the only player that'd want to put a tower in the pirate targetable row is if all the other players have buildings in that row themselves, so they won't want to build pirate there because they'll also be pirating themself.

If so, the cost 4 wall may act as a late game catch up mechanism for whoever's been bumped off from having buildings on the main board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the 4-gold wall sections are vulnerable to the pirate, they are still no brainer builds IMO. The rewards far outweigh the risks. Not only do you have a point that can never be lost, but that VP also entitles you to steal an extra card when you roll 7. Though it is always better to build the side wall pieces, when available, I wouldn't hesitate to build the more expensive wall pieces if I didn't have more pressing matters to attend.

It almost every game I've played the city walls are all filled in by the 2/3 point of the game.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mackay
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
Early influence cards, untouchable (and possibly cheap) VP's, and greater Pirate protection/strength, all make the 4gc Walls valuable. Also, with a limited number of slots, you can reduce the number of options your opponents have for gaining VP's.

Haven't played a 4 player game, and only twice played 3 player, but I suspect the Walls take on greater power with more players. (More sevens are rolled, more VP's in the play area, and fewer city wall spaces per player.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure what you mean by greater Pirate 'protection'. The wall VPs do nothing to protect you from the pirate. They can increase your card rake if you roll a 7, but they also make you vulnerable to 7s rolled by others.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.