Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fraker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game doesn't have alot of English for it. There are some English player aids here, and though they're fun to read they don't cover half the situations in the rule book! So here are the sticky situations we ran into and what we chose to do:

1.Who gets to move first?
We just did a roll off (aka: die confrontation; I love this phrase) with no bonuses and higher number going fist. In order to get the ball the starting player has to expend one of his turn's two movements to run over it.

The rules for passing were pretty well laid out with good example pictures. But we wanted more pictures about shooting goals.

One of the player aids (in English) is a chart of the different player skills. One of the columns is long shoot: 6 hexes with deviation. I don't even see this in the rule book. Is this a house rule? We took it as part of the rules.

2. How does the deviation rule work for shooting goals?
We took the last possible hex in the goal or the 6th hex from the kicker as the point to roll for deviation. If you're on the edge you have the danger of the ball going outside the goal post. If you're too far out from the goal (such that the 6th hex is just inside the goal line) then there's a chance your ball doesn't go in. If the deviation roll puts the ball out of the net but in the same direction that it was kicked (as if it was kicked through the back of the net) we considered it a goal.

3. How does the deviation roll combine with die confrontation between shooter and goalie?
After the deviation roll is made, if the ball is still in the net AND the hex the ball deviates to is within 3 hexes of the goalie there is a die confrontation.

4.What happens after a goal attempt?
We didn't play it as if the team making the attempt's turn was over. That player could finish his two moves if he still had any, but I don't think we would let him try to retake the ball. The picture shows the goalie in the penalty area with possesion of the ball and the penalty area is completely highlighted. We took that to mean that the goalie could freely move to any place in penalty area and pass the ball. This move in the penalty area, we decided, did not count against that player's two moves for that turn BUT to move the goalie back DID count towards his two moves.

In the end, I really likded it. I'm looking forward to playing it again soon. At first I was a little skeptical about the passes and shots only going through the hex sides, but in the end that added to the tactical, chess-like feel of the game. That's what I liked the most I think. The chess-ness of seeing play setups over several turns and then going for the goal. There is dice rolling, but the +2 bonuses for different players really puts the emphasis on tactics and position. 7.5

-mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Englund
Finland
Hautjärvi
flag msg tools
mbmb
gt8595b wrote:

2. How does the deviation rule work for shooting goals?
We took the last possible hex in the goal or the 6th hex from the kicker as the point to roll for deviation. If you're on the edge you have the danger of the ball going outside the goal post. If you're too far out from the goal (such that the 6th hex is just inside the goal line) then there's a chance your ball doesn't go in. If the deviation roll puts the ball out of the net but in the same direction that it was kicked (as if it was kicked through the back of the net) we considered it a goal.

I have also problems with this one... In the rules there is a picture that shows a ball outside the goal after a deviation roll and that is a goal kick, but what happens when the deviation roll puts the ball out of the net but in the same direction that it was kicked? That's a good question... Is tit a goal? Or is it a shot OVER the goal?

Any opinions? Or even official rulings from Grapac?

-Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.