Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BlackJack [+] [View All]
P.L.A.
Spain
LA BAÑEZA
(LÉON)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Beowulf a redevelopment of the BlackJack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the cards don't even have numbers on them. It's an auction and risk management game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
> Is Beowulf a redevelopment of the BlackJack?

In details, no. As the previous poster said, there's no summing to 21, there's 6 suits instead of 4, there's only 2 kinds of cards in each suit.

Despite the details, however, there's a deep philosophical connection between the two games. The essence of blackjack is knowing when to push your luck and when to fold, and that's the essence of Beowulf.

My theory about Beowulf is that people think the game is about managing your cards when in fact the game is about managing risks (gambling). The risk mechanic in the game isn't an adjunct to the cards, rather the cards are an adjunct to the risks.

Let me put some simplified math behind this. You are about 70% likely to win a typical risk (to a first approximation). While that's not perfect, it's pretty good. In other words you can typically assume the game will give you the card you need. Once you realize the game will usually give you cards, you realize the cards in your hand are not nearly so critical as you thought; you can just go get more for free.

So why have a hand at all? Because 70% isn't 100%. If you don't get the card you want, you also lose points, sometimes a lot of points. If you risk, you are 30% likely to take some pain, sometimes big pain. The cards in your hand help you mitigate the randomness. The key is to know when to use them, and when to push your luck.

If you like blackjack, I think you will like Beowulf a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kostek wrote:

My theory about Beowulf is that people think the game is about managing your cards when in fact the game is about managing risks (gambling). The risk mechanic in the game isn't an adjunct to the cards, rather the cards are an adjunct to the risks.

It is also, and perhaps more importantly, a game about managing the other players. If you do well at managing the other players you don't need to rely as much on risks. The fewer risks I need to take the more likely I am to be successful relative to others. Keeping track of gold is one way to manage other players. Forcing them into impossible positions in the round-the-table auctions is another.

Quote:

Let me put some simplified math behind this. You are about 70% likely to win a typical risk (to a first approximation).

Just to niggle, the chances are much lower than that later in the game during the most important auctions.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

Let me put some simplified math behind this. You are about 70% likely to win a typical risk (to a first approximation).

Just to niggle, the chances are much lower than that later in the game during the most important auctions.

Yes, because people hold cards of those types more, saving them, so after the shuffle there are less of them in there.

I wish this were the case more early,because Ifind the game to work better with a 50% chance of making it on risks than a 70-75%.

At any time, youre in one of two positions: The person taking the risk, or the guy playing cards from hand while others take the risk.

If you are taking the risk, and the chance of success is like 70-75%, it usually works, and is really annoying when it doesnt. When you're the one playing from hand, usually the other person makes their risk, and you feel like you just wasted cards.

Whereas at 50%, they fail more and you get less annoyed about your opponent wasting all your cards, and when you risk, knowing its only 50%, you cant complain as much about failing it.

With another playof the game I've improved my opinion of it from poor to average/playable. I think if the chance of making the risk early in the game were also more like 50%, not 70%, that it could even be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.