Hide
6 Posts

Catan: Cities & Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hex resource and commodity production, multiple cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: man,what [+] [View All]
Devin Lee
msg tools
In original settlers, hexes paid 2 resources for the first city and 1 additional resource for each additional settlement or city adjacent to the hex. In Knights, that has been modified so that cities produce 1 resource and 1 commodity per city, but there is no clear mention of how to calculate resource and commodity production for additional cities adjacent to the hex.

To me, logic would dictate that in the absence of a clear differentiation in the expansion rules for production of additional cities or settlements next to a hex, the calculation of production would follow the pattern in Settlers, e.g. first city = 1 resource and 1 commodity card, additional cities OR settlements = 1 resource card. My fellows gamers argue that if 2 cities are adjacent to the same commodity producing hex, each city receives a commodity card, e.g. 2 cities = 2 resource AND 2 commodity cards. However, they are following original rules for production on non-commodity paying tiles like brick or wheat.

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MCMXLV wrote:
In original settlers, hexes paid 2 resources for the first city and 1 additional resource for each additional settlement or city adjacent to the hex. In Knights, that has been modified so that cities produce 1 resource and 1 commodity per city, but there is no clear mention of how to calculate resource and commodity production for additional cities adjacent to the hex.

To me, logic would dictate that in the absence of a clear differentiation in the expansion rules for production of additional cities or settlements next to a hex, the calculation of production would follow the pattern in Settlers, e.g. first city = 1 resource and 1 commodity card, additional cities OR settlements = 1 resource card. My fellows gamers argue that if 2 cities are adjacent to the same commodity producing hex, each city receives a commodity card, e.g. 2 cities = 2 resource AND 2 commodity cards. However, they are following original rules for production on non-commodity paying tiles like brick or wheat.

Help?

You are playing Settlers of Catan incorrectly. In SoC you receive 1 resourse for every settlement, and two for every city, period. Not 2 for the first city and 1 per additional, as you describe.

Each settlement and city receives resources without any regard to any other settlement or city.

The same applies to Cities and Knights. Each city produces either 2 resources (for brick or wheat hexes) or a resource and a commodity (for wood, ore, and wool hexes).

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCMXLV wrote:
In original settlers, hexes paid 2 resources for the first city and 1 additional resource for each additional settlement or city adjacent to the hex.

Hmm, are you sure of that? We've always played that every city scores independantly. Need to check the rules now... /-:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of the variant you described.

The Settlers rules simply state:
"Settlements produce one resource per hex; cities produce two resources per hex."

There are no conditions or modifications to this statement. Nowhere do the rules even hint that something different happens if there are multiple settlements/cities on the same hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also always played Settlements 1, Cities 2 regardless of position. In C+K of course the Cities produce 1+1 rather than 2, except for Wheat and Brick. So if you have more than one city on a Hex with the number that came up this turn, you get 1+1 for each one, as the hex type dictates (or 2 Wheat or Brick for each one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.