Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: February 4th, 2006

Game: Amun-Re

Players: Jean-François, Johnny, Learry, Rami and Valdir (myself)

I bought my copy of Amun-Re during the Boxing week at my FLGS for less than 50% of their regular price and was burning to try it out with my good friends of the Montreal Boardgames Meetup Group. In order for us to learn the rules beforehand, I started a game at the Spiel by Web site (http://www.spielbyweb.com/) and soon had four other players ready to go.

This was more than two weeks ago and today the same five players met for a face to face confrontation. Our experience with the web game helped a lot, we didn't have to go through the regular rules explanation and all that, we could jump right into the game.

Johnny was randomly (die roll) chosen as first player and the game rolled on for real. I didn't write down the details for each round, so I can't give a blow by blow account of what went on. Suffice it to say, though, that I was in last place after the scoring at the end of the Old Kingdom. Ouch! While Johnny and Learry had each 25, me and Rami were much farther behind with 6 and 8, respectively. I joked with Rami that the game now was between him and myself to see who would end up last...

I did much better in the New Kingdom and was able to acquire three provinces that already had two pyramids in them, built more in all of them and got the bonus for most pyramids on both sides of the river. In the end, I was the winner in the New Kingdom, but my abysmal result in the Old Kingdom made me only go up one position in the final score, as you can see below.

Money seemed a bit too tight throughout the game, the temple always stayed at 1 or 2, so that we didn't get a lot of cash to play. It was only at the last round that the temple finally hit 4 (everybody sacrificed a lot for Amun-Re, pushing the total above 23).

Even though our experience with the web game helped us with the overall flow of the game, we still had some questions. For instance, is the money open or hidden? On SbW it's open, but we could not find anywhere in the rules where it was specified, so we decided to go hidden. Another one: does the pharaoh token (which indicates the first player) go immediately to the player with the highest amount sacrificed to Amun-Re? This can have implications on tie-breaking if two or more people sacrificed the same amount. This happened in our game and we decided that it would go immediately, but we're still not so sure.

Final Score
Player: Old Kingdom New Kingdom Total
Learry: 25 28 53
Johnny: 25 26 51
Jean-François: 20 21 41
Valdir: 6 33 39
Rami: 8 26 34
In the end it came down to the money scoring. After the regular scoring Johnny was leading with 49 points against 47 for Learry. Learry had the most cash (44!) and with that jumped to 53. Johnny was hoping to be the player with the second highest amount, which would make him tie with Learry, but that was not to be: Rami beats him in money, so that he gets only two points, two short of a tie for the win.

Side note: while we played Amun-Re, the other table played Kuhhandel and Take 6. The Kuhhandel was very lively, mostly due to Raymond, who seemed to be having the time of his life...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
ValJor wrote:

Final Score
Player: Old Kingdom New Kingdom Total
Learry: 25 28 53
Johnny: 25 26 51
Jean-François: 20 21 41
Valdir: 6 33 39
Rami: 8 26 34
In the end it came down to the money scoring. After the regular scoring Johnny was leading with 49 points against 47 for Learry. Learry had the most cash (44!) and with that jumped to 53. Johnny was hoping to be the player with the second highest amount, which would make him tie with Learry, but that was not to be: Rami beats him in money, so that he gets only two points, two short of a tie for the win.

I hear people make this claim about Amun Re all the time, and it's very often not true. Learry beat Johnny by 4 points. There's lots of places that Learry could have accumulated those 4 points. It only feels like the money was the deciding factor because it's last on the list of things you count up for points.

If the rules had told you to count up points for Money, then pyramids, then sets, the power cards, then majorities for each side of the river and lastly temples, you'd see all these reports claiming that temples were the deciding factor in who won the game.

ValJor wrote:

Even though our experience with the web game helped us with the overall flow of the game, we still had some questions. For instance, is the money open or hidden? On SbW it's open, but we could not find anywhere in the rules where it was specified, so we decided to go hidden. Another one: does the pharaoh token (which indicates the first player) go immediately to the player with the highest amount sacrificed to Amun-Re? This can have implications on tie-breaking if two or more people sacrificed the same amount. This happened in our game and we decided that it would go immediately, but we're still not so sure.

Money is mostly hidden. You'll notice that the money and power cards all have the same back. So while, you can't actually hide your hand of cards, the actual contents of the cards in your hand is not public information. You have 3 cards. One of them is always the steal fromt he sacrifice card. The other 2 could be a 20 gold and a master builder or you could have a 1 gold and a 2 gold.

The pharaoh token does not move until all of the gifts from Amun Re have been distributed. This affects the order in which ties are broken, the order in which players recieving 1 free item receive that item, and the order in which players decide if their sacrifice change card is positive or negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.