Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - firstly apologies if this question has already been asked a dozen times.

When playing with a larger group we found that by the time we had levelled up enough times to take on some of the harder cards, we were running out of experience counters (not the adventure numbers, but the counters given from cashing them in). Now, once they are gone is that supposed to be it?
Another reason I ask is that I know that one of the expansions (Scepter?) calls for you to add counters to the final challenges. Now, if you have run out of them, then what are you supposed to do?

I know it would be easy to mock up a few more counters, but is there supposed to be a finite amount?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Skogs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The problem of running out of counters is quite a familiar one. The game Runebound places no limit on the number of times you can level up in one particular statistic but unfortunately only comes with enough counters for an average 3 player game. There is not supposed to be a finite amountof counters.

Whenever I play the game we simply use one counter per statistic and then use a dice next to it to signify just how many of them the character has obtained. From experience we have found that d6's (six-sided dice) are the easiest to use, the most stable and the easiest to obtain (as many wargames use them by the bucketload).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this - makes sense really otherwise a 3 player game would be very different from a 6 player. I've got enough dice from AD&D days to use, although it wouldn't have hurt FF to stick a few more of these counters in.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Easiest just to write down your xp from your counter on a scrap piece of paper then return the counter into the pool. This also gets rid of some players hording encounter markers so that new ones can not be placed on the board when a new event is chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skog wrote:
The problem of running out of counters is quite a familiar one. The game Runebound places no limit on the number of times you can level up in one particular statistic but unfortunately only comes with enough counters for an average 3 player game. There is not supposed to be a finite amount of counters.

Whenever I play the game we simply use one counter per statistic and then use a dice next to it to signify just how many of them the character has obtained. From experience we have found that d6's (six-sided dice) are the easiest to use, the most stable and the easiest to obtain (as many wargames use them by the bucketload).

Actually there is a limit to the number of times you can take a Heart Level-Up. You can never have more then 3. As for the rest of the counters, if playing the base game there is no reason for anyone to have more then say 4 or 5 of each skill. and you may or may not want them level across the board. Most games we have played have been won by a level 9 or 10 character (as described in the back of the rulebook for player level) I have played a 5 player game and never even came close to running out of counters. Are you talking about 1st edition and if so does 2nd edition come with more counters???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
It comes in pints? I'm getting one!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 10 of each ability counter except for body/melee which has 20. I just played a 2-player game last night where both heroes were using magic/spirit for their main ability and, therefore, using those leveling counters much more than the others. By the end of the game, I believe there was 1 counter still available. So, it's probably not too much of a problem for a 2-player game to only have the 10 counters but for 3+ players I could definitely see the counters running out.

I think there's a printout in the files section for more counters.

I don't understand why FFG gives you 20 body/melee counters and only 10 of everything else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this post. I just now needed to know this in playing a 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.