Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: i want to replace the dice from SoC. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Estrada
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
does the Cards reduce luck factor instead of the dice in Settlers of Catan. And if it works where do i get them??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check with your FLGS first, but if you don't have one (or they can't get it), you can order The Deck of Dice from http://www.timewellspent.org and several other places.

It does reduce the number of wild rolls (like 9 7s in a row and no 8s for the entire game), and guarantees that at least every number is 'rolled' based on what is statistically possible.

What I thought of doing was using one of the 'joker' cards to act as a 'shuffle' card to randomize things a bit more. When you hit the joker in the deck, you re-shuffle.

Take care!

jeff
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JuanEstrada wrote:
does the Cards reduce luck factor instead of the dice in Settlers of Catan. And if it works where do i get them??


You can also download and print my Deck of Dice:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=13337
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Another suggestion I read somewhere was to use dominoes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
Another suggestion I read somewhere was to use dominoes.


Yup, you can get two small Double-Six domino sets. (like these at http://www.unclesgames.com/product_info.php?products_id=4549...).

You'll need to make a set of 36 dominos, as you'll need some duplicates to match the dice odds. You'll need one of each double (1-1), and two of each mixed pair (2-5 and 5-2, which are the same domino but must be represented twice in your mix).

I then add both double-blanks from the two sets and put them all in a cloth bag. If one is drawn, then all the dominos go back in the bag.

You can get all of this for under $5, which is about what a Deck of Dice will cost. There's something more enjoyable about the clacking and pulling of tiles from a bag (as compared to just drawing a card).

If you want to reduce the effect of "tile counting" to know what's coming, either add more blanks and/or put all tiles face up in a grid as they are drawn. This then gives everyone equal information.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like luck, play something else.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I'm really not sure I'd enjoy Settlers nearly as much with luck so mathematically mitigated for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
Yes.. a deck of dice reduces the randomness of resource production.


...and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

-MMM
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't enter into the luck vs no luck debate but I'll make my usual suggestion : keep the dice and try the Cheese variant (AKA food stamps, AKA poverty is no disgrace). It mitigates the wild rolls effect and tends to keep everyone in the game (but still favors the ones blessed by the dice).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortinm wrote:
I won't enter into the luck vs no luck debate but I'll make my usual suggestion : keep the dice and try the Cheese variant (AKA food stamps, AKA poverty is no disgrace). It mitigates the wild rolls effect and tends to keep everyone in the game (but still favors the ones blessed by the dice).

Actually the Foodstamps variant (= Welfare variant) and the Poverty is No Disgrace variant (= Poverty is No Shame) are separate and different variants. For people frustrated with the dice, they're certainly both worth trying:

The Poverty is No Shame variant

The famous WELFARE variant
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
If you don't like luck, play something else.


Agreed.

I tried making a dice deck for settlers to mitigate the luck factor. Then I played a three player game. The same guy - who is universally terrible at all games we play - hit 11 7s out of the 12 that came up over the course of the game. Needless to say, he kept us screwed over pretty badly and won the game by a mile. Extreme or not, that was enough proof for me that you're not going to stop it being a game of luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Catan: Event Cards don't just replace the dice with a deck of cards, they also have other effects too so whilst the suggestions above are good they won't recreate the event cards exactly. Here's a couple of examples:



[The one on the left is the same as rolling a 7, it just reminds you what to do, the one on the right obviously isn't the same as rolling 4 (3+1)]

They can be found in Catan: Traders & Barbarians which also contains some other interesting looking mini expansions.

{I've only played Settlers base game using dice so can't comment on how these play)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth pointing out here that until Sunday, no one had replied to this for 6 8 years...
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd not noticed - I make it 8 years which would explain why no one had mentioned Traders & Barbarians (it hadn't been released). I'm guessing the OP has either found some cards, given up on the idea or given up on Settlers. Still the info might help someone else who is looking at this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I've never understood the desire to mention that someone has necroposted in a thread. Either people will want to come back in and discuss it, or not - it will work itself out.

Commentary on the chronology of the postings doesn't really seem to add a meta flavour of interest to anyone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I've never understood the desire to mention that someone has necroposted in a thread. Either people will want to come back in and discuss it, or not - it will work itself out.

Commentary on the chronology of the postings doesn't really seem to add a meta flavour of interest to anyone.
Good for you. Half the people say this, half the people don't want to answer a question that as asked years ago. I moderator technical support forums as well and the anger you get when someone necro posts and causes a bunch of people to waste their time answering irrelevant queries is impressive at times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
apotheos wrote:
I've never understood the desire to mention that someone has necroposted in a thread. Either people will want to come back in and discuss it, or not - it will work itself out.

Commentary on the chronology of the postings doesn't really seem to add a meta flavour of interest to anyone.
Good for you. Half the people say this, half the people don't want to answer a question that as asked years ago. I moderator technical support forums as well and the anger you get when someone necro posts and causes a bunch of people to waste their time answering irrelevant queries is impressive at times.


...if you don't want to post, don't post?

And lets let the moderators moderate, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
apotheos wrote:
I've never understood the desire to mention that someone has necroposted in a thread. Either people will want to come back in and discuss it, or not - it will work itself out.

Commentary on the chronology of the postings doesn't really seem to add a meta flavour of interest to anyone.
Good for you. Half the people say this, half the people don't want to answer a question that as asked years ago. I moderator technical support forums as well and the anger you get when someone necro posts and causes a bunch of people to waste their time answering irrelevant queries is impressive at times.


...if you don't want to post, don't post?

And lets let the moderators moderate, no?
Point is you don't notice until you've already put the good willed effort in. Anyway, I just made an ignorable comment, you're making it a thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
apotheos wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
apotheos wrote:
I've never understood the desire to mention that someone has necroposted in a thread. Either people will want to come back in and discuss it, or not - it will work itself out.

Commentary on the chronology of the postings doesn't really seem to add a meta flavour of interest to anyone.
Good for you. Half the people say this, half the people don't want to answer a question that as asked years ago. I moderator technical support forums as well and the anger you get when someone necro posts and causes a bunch of people to waste their time answering irrelevant queries is impressive at times.


...if you don't want to post, don't post?

And lets let the moderators moderate, no?
Point is you don't notice until you've already put the good willed effort in. Anyway, I just made an ignorable comment, you're making it a thing.


And you're making it a double-thing.

Let the inevitable internet race to have the last word commence!

(this is why we can't have nice things)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
With this sort of query it is largely irrelevant that the post is very old. SoC is still played. People are likely to still want to replace the dice with something that makes it less random (sort of).

Posts which have been made redundant or meaningless by the passage of time should not be brought back up and it's fine to point it out if they are. Reviving a thread titled "New Dominion expansion next month" which is three years old can cause confusion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.