Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our monthly group got together to play this for the first time. I have had this game for about two months and haven't touched it. I had talked up the game because of the reviews and session reports here. It looked like a good game for our group.

It normally take us a long time to get through one game, with kids, smoke breaks for one of the players and food and snacks - so what the box says is a normally 120 minute game will take us about 4 hours. So no one really noticed that this game was taking a really long time.

Stepping through the rules we setup everything - 5 players - and started... somehow, someone.... not me, I swear... misinterpreted the rules. During phase three we performed one action and that was it. No one really complained until close to the end, comments were along the lines of "Wow, this game moves really slow" and "It'd be nice if we could more than one thing on our turn." No one bought law cards and only one person wasted their turn on buiding a fence.

We just accepted this and kept playing, again more complaints - it took us like 20 rounds to finish the game. Usually having plenty of production is great - so everyone turned every one of their cotteges into houses. Around round 9 there were no resources available in the store and everyone started trading in for craft items. Once those disappeard the resources went again. It got so bad that whomever went first would have workers on two fields, a lake, three woods, and a vineyard and end up getting three wood cubes becuase that was the only thing in the store. Slowly the keythedral got built. During the last few rounds the bidding for turn order got a little crazy - with all the resource cubes in play we had bids like 30 resources to go first.

Anyway, like I said - the keythedral got built - all in all it was fun, the interaction of the players was a little better than the game - afterwards I though to myself... "Hmmm, no one at all complained how slow this game was on BGG." So I came over to the computer and did some looking around - seems we had a little problem with the rules so I called everyone over and apologized. Glad everyone was good natured about it - we'll revisit this in a month or two - and my wife and I are going to try this out again this coming weekend with the family and give the group an updated report.

Even with the problem we had it was a fun game - the components are nice and everyone liked the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.