Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
No so much of a review, more a reason for playing and enjoying Backgammon.

Backgammon is the first serious game I can remember being taught. Before this it was roll and move, memory match and dexterity games. After this, well...

Why has this game lasted 2000 years or more? Because it is simple to learn with a good mix of strategy and luck. The doubling die and extra points for more comprehensive wins are modern inventions which add a lot to serious players, but the basic game was fun to me as a kid. It is also good for your maths skills, and the luck factor means that a good player can play with a newbie. Even a crushing loss won't last too long.

My grandfather used to play with me on holiday in Glasgow, winning nearly all the games as I remember. I would add the numbers together after each roll "7", while he would quietly insist "2 and 5". Once you understand that difference you should have a good chance of winning...

The set I use now I got from one of my Uncles as a birthday present. It's not a valuable set, but the dice cups make the right noise, and the magnetic board makes playing on the move easy. When I was back in Scotland a few years ago I got a chance to play him again. I won more games this time around...

In a time when there are new games available every month, it's good to look to see what lasts. You can now play on line for money, though I think I'll stick to my day job. I'm hoping to teach backgammon to the next generation while still enjoying it my self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know backgammon was an ancient game or that it required much skill to play. I only played it once and my impression was of a roll and move game with a bit more strategy but not that far off from PARCHESI! Maybe I should try it again though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulette Young
Canada
Unspecified
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I met over a backgammon board. We worked at a summer job together and on our lunch hour he taught me to play. Being a university math major, it didn't take long for me to put probabilities to work and was regularly beating him. That was over 20 years ago. I still enjoy it, and we dust it off now and then to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
My older sister taught me Backgammon when I was a youngster and we've had many great games since. Never played much with my little brother due to his tendency to put the dice in his mouth, or other places, if he was losing. My wife just taught my 6 year old to play...and so it begins again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.