Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not sure how long this entry will last--as it is not going to be published by Quest Machine...this is what it is.

The rules are very, very simple...almost Carrier Strike simple.

Each player starts with 2 Capital Ships, and 18 fighters organized into 3 squadrons. The game is 9 turns, and you have a card for each turn. The board is filled with open space, asteroids and a few victory point markers in the center.

On your turn, you play the card you drew at the end of last turn. The cars has you do the following in this order:

1. Move one squadron EXACTLY X hexes forward.
2. Have all ships in the moving squadron file straight ahead 5 hexes.
3. Turn fighters in the moving squadron up to Y hexsides.
4. Move and turn one capital ship up to Z action points. (one action point per forward hex or 60 degree move.))
5. Fire at one target in any direction within 2 hexes.

All shots do one point of damage. Fighters die with one point of damage, capital ships take 2.

At the end of the game, killed fighters are 1 point each, cap ships are 4 points each.

Each player also has a secret weapon dealt out at random from a deck of 12. Some of these are one shot Death Blossom-like things, some are permanent powers.

That is actually almost the game. No dice to determine damage--being in front of someone is simply your death. Notice also that fighters only turn AFTER moving and firing. You know the direction a player's next fighter attack can come from, but not the range. There are enough fighters on the map that almost nowhere is safe after the first turn.

You have 20 ships to start, and after 9 turns, you only have 0-8 left.

------

I started the design after watching the big giant mega-huge space battle at the climax of Babylon 5. I really wanted to play a big, giant space battle with dozens of ships per side. And so I went on a grand tour of space battle games...and the idea of big giant battle done quickly is 6-8 ships per side in "only 3-4 hours". (Silent Death might be the fastest. I bet you could get a 20 ship battle in 3 hours.)

Still, it took me years to rip things out and trim out choices to get the thing down to 30-60 minutes with 60-80 ships. So the folks looking for Star Fleet Battles in an hour are gonna keep looking. (There are far too many decisions and detail even in Federation Commander to play more than a tiny battle in an hour.) This is more of a simple, fairly fluffy beat-em-up...but with far less luck that is typical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the description, Frank. It sounds very cool. I like the overall design ethic. I too had been looking for a quick epic space battle, and had been unimpressed that the "simple" ones had "only" a 30-page rulebook, etc. A while ago I did some design notes for something similar to BBS, but with more random elements -- sorta like Battle Cry with X-Wings -- but yours sounds much better!

I'd been interested in BBS for quite a while, and it was the game I was saddest about when hearing of QM's demise. I hope it eventually gets published somehow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Sakamoto
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear how things turned out for this game - I had wanted to see a final product, as it sounded interesting when I first caught mention of it on BGG. Stuck it on my wishlist, and didn't hear more until this post.

I also hope it gets published somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j Willis
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this is the game I've been waiting for! Now that I've found it, I find that it won't be published?!? Nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
So the fighters in a squadron are all contained in one hex, right? Is that functionally equivalent to having one ship that can take 6 hits before being destroyed? It seems like each player would in fact only have 5 things to move at the start -- two capital ships and three squadrons. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise it sounds like an interesting design. But then I'm a sucker for fast-moving space combat games (and even have an unpublished design myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. A squadron is 6 small ships of the same type. They tend to fly in formation, but a squadron can split formation and go off in different directions.

The odd thing about this game is that there aren't a lot of choices. You get to move a single squadron, and a single cap ship each turn. So there are only really four choices each turn:

1. Which squadron to move.
2. The new facing for each ship in the squadron for next turn.
3. Which and where to move a cap ship
4. What to have the cap ship shoot at.

That's not a lot of choices, and that's why the game plays quickly. The choices are sometimes easy but not always. And the end result is a pretty light little game.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any good news about this game ever coming out?

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renzoni
United States
WEST HAVEN
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
Any good news about this game ever coming out?

KJ

On Aug 6, 2007, at 9:15 PM, wrote:

[/q] Hello,
It has been a while since I've read anything new on www.boardgamegeek.com about your game in planing "Battle Beyond Space." I was hoping you would give me an update or make a post at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18400 (your games home at BGG : )
Anyway, I hope you're still gaming.
Cheers,
David [/q]

Reply by designer:

[/q]It is on tour. There are a couple of publishers interested. But....that'll put it at least a year from publication.

Moo,
Frank [/q]

So it'll be a while, but there is still hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j Willis
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a 'New Hope'?

I'm excited about this. Please keep us informed as events continue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still slogging through publishers. I'll try to send one of my copies to BGGcon if folks are interested.

Moo,
Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are interested in this game! PUBLISH, publishers! PUBLISH! That's what you do!

Hoping for your game's future,

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renzoni
United States
WEST HAVEN
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, but I won't be at BGG Con : (

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j Willis
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Publish. Please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun. And the Carrier Strike difficulty could be appealing.

Good luck with it.

Jeremy Fridy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
feb 2008
nello wrote:
hi Frank ..this is Nello -> brascogames... from london
i would like to see your game published

1. is ..... goin' to publish this board game ?
2. how much will cost to auto-produced/auto-publish 500 of them ?
3. what about a preorder -> credit cards .. like gmt ?

Answers are:

1. No.
2. Lots. It would be actually possible if we went with counters or wooden bits of some type. I'm going to try one last push to sell it this April at the Gathering.
3. Preorder is likely not really a sane way for me unless I start a publishing company. I'm looking at a way to do 100, probably in the $75-$100 range. It is just a massive lot of work, as the copies will be mostly handmade. At that point, preorders become more of a waiting list..........
========================================================================
[size=18][COLOR=#00CC00]BBS needs ,deserve to be produced and published .... anyone out there ...??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've got my money waving over my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds exactly like one of those homebrew systems I come up with to play with my son or buddies when we just want to move some plastic over a beer.

Would you say that this game is comprehendible for an 8:year old and do you estimate the time to play will stay about the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.