Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having purchased and enjoyed Tikal, Torres and Java, I thought this was going to be an obvious next purchase. However the first few comments (and no rating over 5 yet) seem to suggest that it falls short of what one would expect from Kramer/ Kiesling. Looking forward to seeing a proper review soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well I can only repeat what I said, as I was the first one to rate the game. I am a big Kramer fan and the ones you mention (Java, Torres, Tikal) are all in my top ten. That is why I was so disappointed. This game is not like the ones mentioned at all, although the outside graphics make that impression. There is no controll here, no tactical/strategical play. First try to play it somewhere before buying it. If you are looking for a game like the ones mentioned, then try Hacienda, also by Kramer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Seconded. Celtica is really a very, very light game, clearly targetted for families who do not play often. And even then there are better titles to be had which offer a longer-lasting and more fun experience. The following (german) short review lists exactly all those points I experienced myself: http://www.spielbox.de/phorum4/read.php4?f=1&i=128627&t=1286... . In that discussion it was also mentioned that someone's daughter of 4 joined in for play, and that she didn't come in last. I think that sums up the game quite sufficiently: AVOID. (Unless, of course, you want to have a game in which small children can also join and actually have a chance of winning.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give this one a try. I read Faidutti's take on it, and I am intrigued. I will not expect a Tikal or Java experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a huge kramer fan as well, I have put my sights on Bison (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21287), Kramer's next big heavy according to reports.

I recommend you put this one on your radar and forego Celtica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Webbekom
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is really something like Cartagena or Heimlich & Co, then I do not want to spend 25 EUR on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No it isn't. Let's just say, it's no Rocketville.

That being said, it is very light, though there are a few interesting hand management things going on. But they are pretty light hand management things. And there is some risk/reward stuff going on, but not to the level of Beowulf for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.