Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday Susanne and I went over to my parents for church and dinner.

As usual I asked Susanne if it would be appropriate to take a game; after her assent I asked if she would prefer Puerto Rico or Bohnanza. She picked Puerto Rico. And then I, armed only with some incredibly lame rationalization ("maybe we'll need to play at the coffee table, and Puerto Rico just wouldn't suit for that"), grabbed both.

By the time we finished with Saturday evening church, ate our home-made taco buffet, and cleaned up the dishes, it was 8:30 p.m. My dad, who never plays games, went upstairs to hack away at getting some USB 2.0 drivers reinstalled back on the computer, so that left my mom, Susanne, and I to play a game. Susanne and I had both played Puerto Rico, and I had played Bohnanza with my mom, so we were going to have to teach a game no matter what, so given the lateness of the hour it seemed best to go with Bohnanza, so we pulled our seats up around the coffee table for the game (victory for lame rationalizations!).

After clearing off the coffee table, explaining the game, sorting out the Cocoa beans, dealing out the hand, and talking to my brother (who called on the phone) it was 8:50 p.m., so we didn't do too bad getting through the rules.

Vigorous trading ensued. About halfway through any Bohnanza game I feel like a used car salesman, because I'm talking constantly to get the trades I want. Susanne and my mother frequently traded, and I was also not left out in the cold. My mom went for Coffee beans early in the game, and those loitered for a while in her bean field before she was able to harvest the full lot. She also was able to reap big rewards with Wax beans early in the game, and would later shift to Green beans, with some Stink thrown in there, as well. My initial hand dictated my direction for much of the first time through the deck: Blue beans, Chili Beans, and Stink beans, each of which I was able to harvest for 4 gold. I kept getting these naggy little Garden beans which were threatening my Chili and Blue and Stink supplies, so I had to get rid of them and was able to pawn them off on Susanne, who at that time had an empty field. This ended up working great for her, as she was able to come away with two successful harvests of Garden beans, which boosted the gains she was making with Green and Black Eyed beans, even as she competed for Coffee beans with my mom.

When I first explained that we went through the WHOLE deck three times everyone looked at the stack of 135 cards sitting in the middle of the table with huge eyes, but our second and third turns through the deck were quick and painless. Naturally we all had to shift our strategies a bit as the beans we had wanted were harder to come by, and I ended up chasing after Wax beans for a while. By the third time through the deck I was haunted by a lone Garden bean, the taunting remnant of the fellows I had pawned off on Susanne, but we each focused on building our remaining fields before time ran out. By the end of the game I was satisfied, as I had little more in my hand I could do anything with, but my mom JUST ran out of time and could have used one or two more turns to clear out her hand and maximize the profits off her fields.

Given this, it was a bit unfortunate she fell behind in the final count. Susanne commented that from the way the stacks of cards looked I was going to win, but we can perhaps attribute that to the devil-may-care organization tactic I employed in stacking my thalers.

Mom: 24
Justin: 34
Susanne: 34

When I announced my score Susanne went, "Wait, I think that's how many I had," so we initiated a recount, and indeed, we had tied. Final score was read at about 9:50, placing total playing time at around an hour.

Debriefing
I had been sitting around earlier in the day thinkiing about how much I liked the flow of Bohnanza, and so I was gratified that we got to play it that night. I really like this game, and the last time I played with three we played so that one must purchase the third bean field. We started out with the bean field this time and it worked out quite well, as we were all able to leap right into trading and planting. I always tend to get the third bean field anyhow, as it seems to offer a bit more flexibility to help you maximize the profits in at least two of the fields. Trading was really good, and it worked out especially well for Susanne, who was able on several occasions to build seriously helpful profits out of nothing but trades; I, on the other hand, just kept trying to piece together something out of the hand I was dealt, and the cards that came up during the trading phase. Somewhere in noticing this during the game it came to me that even if one has a card late in one's hand which looks to wreck an otherwise nice flow of beans there's no reason to worry, because chances are something will show up, either from the deck or from someone's hand, that could make it possible to comfortably hang on to that card for a couple turns--to wait for JUST the right moment (though it would be terrible for that to turn into a Lost Cities-esque "Dangit, I KNEW should have got rid of that sooner!").

As usual, my wife proved a real killer at a new game, and her friendly, unaggressive approach to trading was frightfully effective. I realized too many times that I opened my mouth about trading for a card I could have gotten as a donation, and another time I couldn't convince my mom--no matter WHAT I said--that she just wanted to GIVE me the two cards she had turned over during her trading phase. For her first game, Susanne quietly traded her way to the top, demonstrating that there are level-headed and calm approaches which may just be superior to the used-car-salesman tabletalk.

Must consider for next time. Silent trading, perhaps? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong but are you sure you play through the deck THREE times when you only have three players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should go through the deck only twice in a three player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are both absolutely correct--the rules clearly state under 3-player variations that the players should only exhaust the deck twice.

I should have explained this initially to the players, but there seemed to be a couple good reasons to, at least this time, go for the full three-time deck exhaustion:

* We had the time
* It doesn't really ever take that long to go through the deck the third time (in our particular game there were 29 cards left in the deck the third time--which works out to almost 2 more turns apiece)

I thought initially that going through the deck the third time would give each of us a bit of a heads up that the end game was approaching (perhaps helpful for two essentially "new" players), rather than it just slamming home like it might if one weren't carefully thinking about how many cards were left in the draw deck--but then again, as I mention in the session report, my mom could have used a turn extra, so I guess that shows how well that worked.

Everyone had fun, though, so it's hard not to count the game as a success in that regard, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theonomous wrote:
Everyone had fun, though, so it's hard not to count the game as a success in that regard, right?

That's the most important thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.