Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I finally got to whip out Reef Encounter, the game of producing fish poop for sparkly beaches. I had read through the rules, then stared at them, then giggled a bit a few days prior which probably explains how we screwed up the rules so much.

Anyway, we started with three players, me, S and C. After we had set up the game and had built our adorable little fishooms, a fourth player joined, K. We got him his bits and started the game, completely forgetting to add the fourth board to the table. Oops. Screwup #1.

I explained the rules as best I could, the players stared at me like I had suddenly turned into a koala and we decided to just start and hope things made more sense as we played. I started off bulding pink, S went for yellow, C had white and K started with grey, the ONLY player to go after grey until almost the end of the game. I think's it's because the grey tiles look so damn gross.

We played two rounds and I happend to glance at the rules. Whoops, coral needs to be two tiles big before it can eat another coral. Screwup #2. It only affected C and S and not very much so we continued on with the new rule in place. C misunderstood the actions a little and thought you had to do them all in the order printed on the turn summary card. We all had been doing that but only because it was easier. I don't think that would have affected her game play that much had she had it correct tho.

K had a nice grey coral going that got completely eaten up by S's new orange coral. I managed to eat the first coral, a healthy 8 point pink monster that dominated one board. It would have been 3 tiles bigger but C swooped in a chewed some off with another orange. Orange was definitely the angry misunderstood bitey coral.

The game went on and I noticed NO ONE was eating corals. I ate a 7 point orange I managed to place in one turn and then a 8 point white. STILL no one had eaten one. S finally ate two and I just sped the game to a close by eating a 6 point pink.

I came in so far ahead I was ashamed of myself. C hadn't been eating any corals because she has misunderstood the rule about eating one last coral once the game ended; she assumed she could eat ALL of her corals. Which begs the question, why bother to eat corals at all then but it was the first game and we assumed mistakes would happen. K never ate a coral the whole game. He was such a crazy. surprise

All in all we all liked it (except maybe K) and are ready to give it another go. We actually liked the idea of playing with one fewer board and thought adding one would maybe have made the game a bit less interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mulan Wong
Taiwan
Zhonghe District
New Taipei City
flag msg tools
The mushroom of course.
badge
One side of what?
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I explained the rules as best I could, the players stared at me like I had suddenly turned into a koala and we decided to just start and hope things made more sense as we played.

This line is so impeccably funny and to the point ... but perhaps a bit sad in a geeky sense. However, in my case, it is always like I turned into that Pokemon creature who always sang everyone to sleep. snore

Mulan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
We actually liked the idea of playing with one fewer board and thought adding one would maybe have made the game a bit less interesting.

We found with 4 boards and 4 players that there was very little room to move. With only 3 boards and not much eating, I don't know how you got anywhere at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
We actually liked the idea of playing with one fewer board and thought adding one would maybe have made the game a bit less interesting.

We found with 4 boards and 4 players that there was very little room to move. With only 3 boards and not much eating, I don't know how you got anywhere at all.

The corals we ate were just smaller then what we would have gotten with 4 boards I would guess. Judging from the other session reports I've read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.