Subject: Activating a Glyph rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J West
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've looked all over the place, and for some reason I can't find an answer to the basic question of exactly when a glyph is activated.
The rules say that they activate "when a hero moves through the space" which suggests you have to move into an adjacent space after standing on the glyph to activate it. Which means if you want to travel through a non-active glyph you have to step on to it, step off, (it activates now), step back on, and travel through. That's 4 MP, not counting however many you needed just to get onto the glyph the first time!

So far, we've been playing it that as soon as you step onto the glyph the first time, it's active, and you can then use it to transport. No extra 2 MP required. I'm thinking we've been playing it wrong, though.

So which is the correct way?

Thanks,
J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may have misread the rule.

Page 17.
Quote:

Glyphs of Transport

Once a hero enters a space containing a glyph, the glyph is flipped over to it's white (activated) side and the heroes gain three conquest tokens.

That means as soon as you hit the space, it flips, and you could immediately spend 1 movement point to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J West
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
No, I'm not misreading it, but perhaps my descentrules.pdf file is out of date:

Quote:

Glyphs of Transport
Once a hero moves through a space containing a glyph, the glyph is flipped over to it's white (activated) side and the heroes gain three conquest tokens.
(my italics added)

If the printed manual says "enters" instead of "moves through" then that explains everything. That, or I need to download a newer version of the offical rules pdf!

I definitely prefer the "enters" word. Can someone confirm for me that I've got an inferior manual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The pdf doesn't appear to have changed since they posted it originally. The one I just downloaded still says moves through....

But I would suggest this: in the spirit of the game it would make more sense to have to be on the same space as the glyph to activate it, just like opening a treasure chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J West
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Exactly, it says moves through. If it said "enters", there would be no question whatsoever.

I agree though, in the spirit of the game, play it like "enters".

So unless someone has something to add to this, I'm going to continue that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have a question then - what makes Runewitch Astarra's Hero Ability so good? It says "Glyphs activate when Runewitch Astarra moves within 6 spaces of them.". So what? You still have to walk on it anyway to use it, right? Or can Runewitch Astarra transport back to town when she moves within 6 spaces of the Glyph?

PS - I just got the game yesterday and am chomping at the bit to play it soon!!!

==Blicko==

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blicko wrote:
OK, I have a question then - what makes Runewitch Astarra's Hero Ability so good? It says "Glyphs activate when Runewitch Astarra moves within 6 spaces of them.". So what? You still have to walk on it anyway to use it, right? Or can Runewitch Astarra transport back to town when she moves within 6 spaces of the Glyph?

PS - I just got the game yesterday and am chomping at the bit to play it soon!!!

==Blicko==

Activating the Glyph provides extra conquest tokens, which may be needed without going right into the middle of all the creatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, that makes sense! Man I can't wait to play this game. I'm sure I'll be posting again if anything weird pops up during our session that we don't understand. But between the FAQ, the Wiki pages, and this forum, I'd think I'm pretty well covered...

==Blicko==

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blicko wrote:

==Blicko==

In addition to getting the Conquest Tokens earlier, it also allows any heroes in town to port back into the dungeon on the newly activated Glyph, sometimes behind the monsters' line of battle.

It's a very useful ability. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A nearly arranged row of monsters blocking one or two attacks before one can attack the important monsters like master beastman is importantninja. It gives just too much damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.