Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I wouldn't write a session report about Hungry Hungry Hippos, but there are only two other Session reports and they look lonely.

Scott and Karen host our friday night rpg game, and they invited the gaming group over to their place to watch the Superbowl. Living in Pittsburgh it is roughly mandatory to watch this game. (I am a Pats fan, we didn't get a chance to continue the tradition of eliminating the Steelers this year.) So I went over to watch the game, and eat hamburgers and a chilli dog, and a glass of Arrogant Bastard ale. Now like all gamers I was secretly hoping that at some point during the night we might get a game of something in. Now these thoughts live inside gamers like a valet in a mad max movie, waiting in his booth until someone with gas comes along and lets him park his car. I knew it wasn't going to happen.

However at halftime it was time to put S&K's kid Jacob to bed, and part of the ritual there is a story and a game. In this case he picked Hungry Hungry Hippos. Karen asked if anyone wanted to play, and unable to turn down any game, of course I volunteered. Besides it was either that or watch mummified rock starts in belly shirts play songs as tired as they are.

Karen took the pink Hippo, a bold move for a feminist, Jacob had the green one and I took the orange one. I remember as a child I had names for the various hippos.

The first game we played had a kind of methodical bend to it. We released first one marble a peice, and fought for them. Then we all released two marbles, and fought for them, and finally we released three! Insanity! and the struggle came to a furious end. Karen won, with Jacob slightly behind. About halfway through the match organe hippo got into trouble and his jaw got stuck open. I finished last with a miserable few marbles.

In the second game Jacob had seen the glory of a great many marbles in the hippo pool and he said was should all launch all five of our marbles! Hyper insanity! I really like the various stages that this game goes through, first you have the launching marbles phase, where you see plastic pearls launching in arcs into the play field, then a furious flurry of noisy hippo heads to gather up the marbles when they are in abundance, then the game slows down getting more tactical, where you have to bide your time and grab at the correct moment. Those last few marbles are very tense, unless you are a 4 year old, then it is just hammer hammer hammer through the whole game, so cool! Then comes the counting exercize. In this second game Jacob and Karen tied and I lost again, poor me!

Since the games last approxomately one minute it was easy enough to play a third game to break the tie of the last game. This was another launch five game. And just as raukus as the second one. I like that this game is so very loud. Some kids toys are loud, or play songs, this one is just clonk clonk clonk of plastic on plastic, it is a horrible wonderful noise. When the marbles were counted up this time, Jacob was sure he had a win, but Karen pulled it out by one marble. Jacob is a good loser, which is nice to see. He didn't seem to mind that his mom won.

Jacob is also a master staller when it comes to bedtime. So putting the game away took about as long as playing it.

So I did get to play a game on superbowl sunday, perhaps not a super in depth one, but an enjoyable game none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.