Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ANDREAS UDBY
United States
SPOKANE
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really excited to read a forum post here last week about the 50% sale at B&N that covered such things as Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop games. Imagine my disappointment -- my local B&N (and Borders) stores don't stock such drivel! They pretty much stock poker chips, Candyland, cribbage boards, and the occasional copy of Risk, crying softly to itself in the corner because it's so lonely. I was told that they could order me a copy of Doom or other great games, but that they wouldn't be at the sale price (as the sale would end before they arrived, so they would have to charge me the full regular price).

I talked with the manager about why they didn't stock the kinds of games that other stores stock, and her answer was the usual corporate response: each individual store stocks what it believes will sell to the local demographic. My thinking is, if they don't stock it, of course it won't sell! It has to be in the bloody store before they can bloody sell it! But, no, the answer I got was "We've never carried those kinds of games." Wha...? The B&N stores in Seattle do (250 miles from my home), and plenty of people online were crowing about their good deals!

Grrrr... I feel the need to go gnaw a hole in that lady's tires, with much gnashing of teeth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I never noticed those games in my local B&N either. And I've never found anything worth buying at any of our goodwill typr thrift stores either. I wonder if the cities that have good thrift store finds corrisponds with TGOO at B&N's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain, I live in Virginia just outside of DC and had no luck at my local B&N. Star Wars Risk was there for about $12, but nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here in Charlotte, NC. All my local B&N had were the party-type games likes Worse Case Scenario, Simpsons Life, et al.

Definately no FFG or Games Workshop.

I think I need to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got lucky, the one down the street had some great deals, but the other two closest didn't carry any board games! That was a waste of gas!

The irony of the situation is that the Ft. Worth gamers meet at Borders just a few blocks away, which doesn't carry ANY board games!!!

So we play there and use their space, but suppport their competition in purchases!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same in Virginia Beach, I went as soon as I read the post, just lame party games, and Star Wars Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you are saying is that B&N should stock these games for the Christmas season, not sell them, and then blow them out to you at half price?

Not that I haven't stopped at three B&N stores in the last week, mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't quite understand all the complaints here. C'mon everybody, do we REALLY look to buy any games regularly at B&N?? The BGG site is rife with forums about why it is so much better to buy online from Boulder Games, Funagain Games, etc. and why we by and large shy away from game stores. Let's face it, the ONLY reason that we would even think to buy games from a B&N is if they went on sale, unless ther is absolutely nowhere else to look. So I cannot understand why there are complaints about the B&Ns not having the games from FFG, etc. that we think they should carry. I have gone to a couple B&Ns and have only seen games like Star Wars Risk, Cranium, etc. on sale, nothing I would want to buy. I don't have a problem with it because the ONLY reason I am in there looking for games is because they are having a sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to break this to you, but arguing that your friends are making a killing on games that are drastically reduced is no incentive for a store to stock these games. soblue You are merely confirming that these games do not sell with the standard profit margin. Maybe if you could provide information on the number of gamers in the area that would be interested in these games and also how these ppl tend to spend money on other products such as books, music, etc. Do we? Not sure. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go to _6_ barnes and nobles before I found one with the games in stock. If you're that desperate to hit the sale, I suggest you get a good tank of gas and trek in a larger search radius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acetate3 wrote:
I feel your pain, I live in Virginia just outside of DC and had no luck at my local B&N. Star Wars Risk was there for about $12, but nothing else.

A hint: go to the Tysons B&N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"News Flash!

Store that does not sell games refuses to stock them!

Details at 11."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The store here in College Station had the FFG games and sold out of almost all of them long before Christmas. I had hoped that, seeing that the games had sold, they would restock them, but that seems to have been a false hope...

I got a B&N gift card for Christmas, and had hopes that they might still have a stray copy of something I was interested in. They had one game I would be interested in, and they had not yet put it on sale. I suppose that I shoudl go back by and see if they still have it, but I am willing to bet that it got snapped up the second the sale hit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I saw this as inevitable. Just as Hasbro got their Avalon Hill line spread into all sorts of chains stores like Target, Walmart, etc. it was just a matter of time before they all went on clearance. Hobby games are just too specialized and expensive for the average consumer to pick up to make them succesful in these large national chains. Society at large needs to be socially engineered to appreciate these types of games before you can see them everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do I feel your pain, I'm doing what I can to alleviate it.

I work in the Corporate Offices for Borders and met last week with the Games Merchandising head and his staff to suggest they expand their line of games to include "games that gamers play". I suggested Settlers of Catan as a starting point and urged them to pay close attention to German/Euro games as a possible avenue for sales to literate game-playing customers at their next big convention.

Sales speak volumes, however. If a company can carry and sell Scene-It and Cranium more successfully than it can market the games we're playing, that's what they'll do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Of course, the probable reason for this fine sale is even at the locations where they ARE stocked nobody is buying them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott. That would be great! Good points, Marena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull Your Finger Out
Andreas, make it happen. Improve your local demographic. Start a public board game club. Educate people about the great new games they could be playing. Call your club Beyond Monopoly! Spokane and get promoting. If you build it, they will come. Get onto your local newspaper, local radio. Get flyers out, get people in.

Pull your finger out, all of you. If you want stores to stock our games, create the demand. It may take years. So what? Start now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
acetate3 wrote:

A hint: go to the Tysons B&N.

I'd just like to say thanks. I recieved a few tips from fellow BGGers to check out the B&N at Tyson's Corner. I'm now the proud owner of Doom and Citadels. Thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I cruised by my B&N and they had Doom, Twilight Emperium 3, War of the Ring, Citadels, Colossal Arena, Mutiny and Senator all for 50% off. I almost picked up Twilight Emperium for $40 but I just don't think I'll play it. War of the Ring for $30 is a great deal but I already own it. They had the Clash of Kings expansion the other day but hell...I've never gotten around to playing Game of Throwns yet and I think 5 players is plenty for me. I don't need to play that with 6 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS UDBY
United States
SPOKANE
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
"News Flash!

Details at 11."

Bigger news flash: Store that doesn't stock games wonders why games don't sell.

Chicken, egg, chicken, egg, chicken, egg...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been keeping an eye on these sales. It's been come an after Christmas tradition. Each year they've gone from 20% to 50% to eventually 75%. The first year I got Knizia's Lord of the Rings. Last year I picked up Master & Commander and some other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My question is:
Why were people driving all over to the different stores? Ever heard of a phone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes & Nobel Morgantown, WV
I was just at the Barnes & Nobel Morgantown, WV about a half hour ago and they had all popular titles still there. AGoT + Expansion, WotR, TI3, Doom, Warcraft, # munchkins, Warhammer 40K + lots of expansions and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
javelin98 wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:
"News Flash!

Details at 11."

Bigger news flash: Store that doesn't stock games wonders why games don't sell.

Chicken, egg, chicken, egg, chicken, egg...

Biggest news flash: Store that did stock them and they didn't sell because the people most interested would rather save $10 and get them online than support retailers who have a local presence puts games on 50% to get rid of them.

I already said that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.