Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOoookkkaaayyyyyy, picked this up, read rules and played a few solo duels. BUT ( theres always a but isnt there) what use is Armour ? Why would I want to play it - I dont see what advantage it is - I may be immune to my opponents higher power, but if I have no way to beat him then so what ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what armor (a shield, I'm assuming) does:

It allows you to block your opponent's attack at whatever current power you have, attacking back at said power. You'd want to do this for a couple of reasons:

1) To buy time if you think you can beat him.
2) If you think your opponent has expended all of their "good stuff" and can't quite reach the power necessary, but still want to stay in the fight.
3) If you're holding back considerably with your "big guns" to build up cards on your side to sway two dragons instead of one (see #1).

The most important thing to remember about a shield is this: it allows you to stay in a fight without having to meet or exceed an opponent's power. And sometimes, that's all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what he said. Sometimes the very knowledge that you have armor of some type in your deck, if not your hand, can dissuade an opponent from throwing out a huge attack as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And (meaning all the other points are good) it's also worth noting that shields are better against some threats than others.

Shields are good against large threats built up from strong characters, multiple characters built up using PAIR and FREE and added strength from boosters.

Shields are of limited value against threats built up from not especially strong characters plus supports.

Shields are of limited value against GANGs (good against their last gasp - if you can time it that way).

Shields don't solve problems based on special power text, but may buy you time (especially if the text is on a non-RETRIEVE character or booster) They are themselves relatively immune to special power text (very few texts are effective against them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I view as this game's strength is the way cards in each race set interact with each other. Shields work really well in combination with other cards. Let's start with an example from the starter set.

1) The first player (Vulca) has six cards in the fight as well as a support that let's them attract an additional dragon. You suspect that they will win the current contest but it is your turn. You play the storyteller (if I retreat you attract no dragons) and the shield booster bringing the power down to two. On their turn they play a character to keep in the fight. On your turn you retreat. They get NO dragons instead of three. Net three dragons.

2) Playing the Flit the opponent has six cards down in an earth fight. You play Proud Phil (0 0(shield)) as well as the booster that lets the opponent gather one less dragon. They get one dragon instead of two. Net one dragon.

3) Playing the Terrah with one storm out (if I have two active storm at the beginning of my turn I immediately attract one dragon). On your turn you play Sol (0(shield) 0) and an additional storm. Now the opponent has to decide if you can hold out and start a dragon collection each turn or to retread. This will shift the score at least one dragon possibly six.

4) Playing as the Aqua with a flood out (if I have two active floods you retreat immediately). I play Yin (or is it Yang (the next character/booster may be played as if it had the free icon)) play a shield booster as free and play the second flood causing you to instantly retreat. This will shift two to six dragons as well.

Continuing with a shield fight has three main effects.

1. It forces your opponent to continue the fight an additional round where they could have to fold for several reasons (no appropriate character/any character).

2. It allows you to get off a combination of your own with booster/support.

3. It allows you to draw more cards and possibly get one to save your butt next turn (several leadership cards can do this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'd just like to clarify one thing in case Duncan misinterpreted this:

Kitescreech wrote:
...what use is Armour ? Why would I want to play it - I dont see what advantage it is - I may be immune to my opponents higher power, but if I have no way to beat him then so what ?

If you are attacked by 7 fire, for example, and you play a shield with a value of 3, you are safe. You do not have to match the 7 power... it's just that your opponent must now beat only 3 power.

(I'm pretty sure that was clear, just wanted to make sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan flint
United Kingdom
Kidderminster
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Aaaah Orangeblood - so it sort of re-sets the power ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's exactly what it does. Allows you to "start over" so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
The rules even specially state that Shields are used to reduce the power in the current fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
The rules even specially state that Shields are used to reduce the power in the current fight.

It should be noted that this is a consequence of the rules for shields, not the actual rule. Shields allow you to ignore your opponent's power, they don't actually reduce it. Of course since you can ignore it, you tend to play a lower power, thus reducing the level you are playing at. (I note this just because I've seen this cause some confusion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.