Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
160 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Australian Games Expo (Albury) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tall
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AUSTRALIAN GAMES EXPO 2006

Albury, New South Wales.

Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th June 2006

To be held at the Albury Convention & Performing Arts Centre,

Swift Street, Albury, New South Wales, Australia

This inaugural, annual event will run along the lines of the Essen Games Fair (Essen SPIEL) in Germany. In anticipation of a positive response from exhibitors and the public, the venue has been booked for 2007 and 2008 on the same weekend. This is a national event, which should interest Universities, Schools - both Primary & Secondary, (main stream and non-main stream), and home educators, special interest groups and of course the general games buying public

At the Australian Games Expo 2006, the first sanctioned, Australian Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne Tournaments will be conducted. The first prize for both disciplines will be return flights and 5 nights accommodation to compete in the World Championships at the Essen Games Fair 2006 (Essen SPIEL)

The exhibitors are expected to be retailers, manufacturers, (possibly represented by their Australian agents), game authors/designers and other related companies and/or persons.

This is not a trade fair, but is open to the public, with the purpose of raising the profile of Euro, other board and card games, within Australia. The emphasis will be on board & card games, not Collectable Card Games, Role Playing Games or Table Top Games (Miniatures)

Exhibitors will be able to sell from their stands.

In addition to the exhibitors there will be over 150 different board and card games for you to trial Experienced instructors from www.eurogamesfest.com will be on hand to assist

It is difficult to anticipate attendance numbers, however approximately 1000 people attended the first Essen 20 years ago. Now it’s in the order of 150,000!

I encourage you to support this important inaugural event, which will assist in helping the Australian games buying public become more aware of the vast range of games now available to them.

“Every decade or so, the board game industry evolves and a whole new generation of games arrives on the market. In the 80’s it was Trivial Pursuit and Pictionary. In the 90’s word games like Articulate and Balderdash were released. Now we are in the decade of the Euro-style games such as Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Bohnanza and Citadels”

Carol Witt, Games reviewer with Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane Child Magazines.

Contact

Phil Davies

Mind Games – Albury

538 David Street, Albury, NSW. 2640

Telephone 61-2-60412448 Mobile 61-438-619373

mindgame@bigpond.net.au

www.mindgamesalbury.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I ask why this super-sounding event is being held in Albury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the best way to get to Albury from Brisbane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
smittenkitten wrote:
Might I ask why this super-sounding event is being held in Albury?

I gather it's because Phil who runs Mind Games in Albury is the driving force behind the event. He has a real passion for bringing games to the masses.

We're planning to go, but the logistics are complicated by children - at the moment, we're planning to pay for my parents to come too, and get them to mind the girls while we're gaming.

The alternative is to get my sister-in-law down from Sydney on the train.

I'm waiting to see what sorts of accommodation deals they have, and am hoping there will be somewhere with apartments, as that makes it easier with the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, fly to Melbourne and then either get the train or hire a car & drive.

It's almost exactly 3 hours by car, on a fantastic divided-all-the-way highway.

See you there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
John, fly to Melbourne and then either get the train or hire a car & drive.

It's almost exactly 3 hours by car, on a fantastic divided-all-the-way highway.

See you there?

Flying + hiring a car makes it expensive. Also, Albury is not a place my wife wants to go to, she doesn't have drinking buddies there. It's a 2 day drive if I want to have my own car. Hmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The train?

Or you may be able to get a ride with some Melbournite (sorry - our car will be full or we'd offer). There may be some carpooling to be done (or even share a rental with another person from out of town?)

They need to get 64 players in each tournament to run them as sanctioned events. (and, presumably to offer the Essen trip prizes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds great and i hope it is well supported.

How many Australians think its location will limit its success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sevorges wrote:
It sounds great and i hope it is well supported.

How many Australians think its location will limit its success?

Are we talking in percentage terms here? i'm guessing somewhere around over 95...

New Zealanders are welcome, too, I gather

Apart from getting there, which will be a pain, how much does the location matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tall
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first heard about this I mentioned about going to it to my wife. She didn't say no....so maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you could just fly to Albury ...

For example on QANTAS:

Friday 9th June
2:15pm Brisbane -> 3:45pm Sydney
6:55pm Sydney -> 8:15pm Albury

Monday 12th June (Queens birthday holiday)
5:05pm Albury -> 6:25pm Sydney
7:15pm Sydney -> 8:45pm Brisbane

... will set you back about AUS$416 if purchased own (Red e-Deal)

*** Stupid typos ***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs about $420 to hire a Tarago for a week. If we put 6 geeks in the Tarago, that's $70 each for transport (well, add petrol), but 2 days driving there and back. A 12-seater minibus is $105/day. Honestly, Albury! The question really is, do I think this will become the Australian Essen? Because if it does, then I wanna be there. If it doesn't, why go to so much effort? And I really think that Albury counts against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albury is certainly a minus for tourists.

Is the location fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, clearly Albury was chosen as the home of the force behind it, but when you think about it, Albury is right on the main road between Sydney and Melbourne, so it is not a bad spot, really.

Bit of a pain from Brisbane, but not really any worse than Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra, and better than Perth!

I am seriously thinking about cashing in some frequent flyer points - they operate on miles, so it shouldn't be any harder than getting to Melbourne, say.

I'm not sure I'm keen on sharing a Tarago with all of John's games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
Albury is certainly a minus for tourists.

Is the location fixed?

What's wrong with Albury? There's Wodonga. A road north and south. There's the Murray River! ummm There's a cool pizza place and a decent Kebab shop. Our family GP works down there removing skin cancers. ummmm friendly people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finney
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melbourne, Canberra or Sydney sure would make it easier for us South Australians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqueline Pope
Australia
Unspecified
ACT
flag msg tools
I suppose you never please all of the people all of the time.

I am a Canberran myself and the three-hour-each-way drive will be the low light of what I am sure will be a really fun and enjoyable weekend.

Think of the savings you will no doubt encounter on games and other bits and pieces for your collection and immeadiately subtract it from the cost of your travel and it will probably go close to becoming a fun affordable weekend for Crow-eaters and Banana-Benders (Please reply with all the usual ACT-Canberran jokes)

Looking forward to Albury,
Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A few questions, thought I'd ask here as they will no doubt apply to others.

1) What is the registration cost?

2) Will there be any deals on accommodation? I don't want to leave it until the last minute in case this really is the Australian Essen and the hotels are full.

3) Should I plan on taking the Friday off or will arriving on Saturday morning be fine? What will the hours be? In particular, when will the tournaments be running?

4) Will I actually, literally freeze in Albury in June? (This question may only apply to us wussy Queenslanders)

Monday being a holiday certainly helps - no doubt influencing the choice of date.

Paul (doing feasability analysis before submitting proposal to wife)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you all are interested. Registration for the Tournaments are now open. They are $25 each and that gives you entry to the expo for both days. (Normally $10 per day)

You have to sign up online and pay via paypal to confirm your spot.

Here's the address: www.mindgamesalbury.com/australiangamesexpo/

If you happen to win either tournament you have to be prepared to be the Australian representative at the World Championships in Essen. Of course the prize includes the flight and 5 nights accom.

You have to be there at 8am on Saturday 10 June to sign in.

How do I know all this? I work for Phil, the organiser. And I help to run eurogamesfest.com here in Albury.

We are going to be there with loads of games to play in addition to settlers and carcassonne.

Now is the chance to let us know what kind of things you'd like to see at this event. Make your suggestions and who knows.

This is going to be BIG!!! So plan a road trip and get to Albury on the 10th and 11th June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Close2nd
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
Well, clearly Albury was chosen... so it is not a bad spot, really.

Bit of a pain from Brisbane, but not really any worse than Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra, and better than Perth!

Hey, what's wrong with Perth?
Oh yeah, the most isolated capital city in the world - lovely climate, friendly people, cozy atmosphere.

I'm in Kalgoorlie, that puts me 600 km closer to Albury.
But all the flights go through Perth anyway so adds about 1200 km to the trip.
1200 kms is still less than the driving distance.
Driving will be 2-3 days each way.
I could at least ask to go.
I am really quite attached to breathing.

Not even thinking about the feasibility but hope you all have fun.
Feasibility planning for No Batteries Required, the first open board gaming day as far from Essen as you can get, well in Kal anyway which is almost the same thing, and trying to get some decent kids games into the local toy library.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This event sounds great. I think it would be good if notification of it were posted either in the Australia folder or in each state (and territory) folder. That way you'll cover the largest portion of the Australian BGG community.
Looking forward to the possibilty of going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did that and had them all removed by the geek. Presumably for repeat submissions. Seems a bit weird. I may try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh*

Not a happy chappy with the location even if it is the border of Vic/NSW there still isn't sufficient transport to the place but you guys have put a fair bit of effort into this event and there isn't a shortage of gamers in Australia...(probably just gamers willing to pay so much to get there).

Thanks for the info guys. I'll beg work for some overtime shifts and hopefully have enough initiative left over to properly plan a trip down there laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqueline Pope
Australia
Unspecified
ACT
flag msg tools
Will it be feasible to enter both tournaments? Mostly concerned about overlapping of games and whether there would be disqualifications etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.