Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I played HOTS for the first time Sunday. The rules are short and seemed simple, but I think I could have done with a few more examples. I do not play wargames, so I dont have anything to reference this against.

1. We played the first scenario. Are both players supposed to have blocks with the same name? I.E. Both players have a Bruce? This really confused me and didnt seem to make any sense.

2. When playing an event card, is that it for your turn or do you also play a 1-3 card as well?

3. During combat, is it resolved 1 player at a time or is it done on a block to block basis? I.E. A's, then B's, then C's no matter whose side they are on.

This is all I can think of now. I am sure I will have more as the night goes on.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
TD2008YDS wrote:
I played HOTS for the first time Sunday. The rules are short and seemed simple, but I think I could have done with a few more examples. I do not play wargames, so I dont have anything to reference this against.

1. We played the first scenario. Are both players supposed to have blocks with the same name? I.E. Both players have a Bruce? This really confused me and didnt seem to make any sense.

2. When playing an event card, is that it for your turn or do you also play a 1-3 card as well?

3. During combat, is it resolved 1 player at a time or is it done on a block to block basis? I.E. A's, then B's, then C's no matter whose side they are on.

This is all I can think of now. I am sure I will have more as the night goes on.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

1) not at the same time, though if the English defeate Bruce in battle then they will gain control of Bruce starting at strength 1. Of if a nobel goes home to winter (which they MUST every year) to find their home occupied by the enemy, then the Nobel switches sides at their current stregth.

2) you play ONE card per turn. Either a 1, 2, 3, or an event card. If BOTH players play an event card the turn ends and you winter.

3)Combat proceeds: Defender's As, Attacker's As, Defender's Bs, Attacker's Bs, Defender's Cs, Attacker's Cs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verive wrote:

1) not at the same time, though if the English defeate Bruce in battle then they will gain control of Bruce starting at strength 1. Of if a nobel goes home to winter (which they MUST every year) to find their home occupied by the enemy, then the Nobel switches sides at their current stregth.

So in other words: yes Jason, each player has a full set of noble blocks: red for the English player, Blue for the Scot. But only one of a particular block (i.e. Bruce) may be onboard at a time. When a blue noble is defeated or killed by a red block (or action), or it returns in the winter to a home occupied by red blocks, then it is replaced by the appropriate red block. And vice versa for red nobles killed by blue. As Jack said: if killed in action it is replaced in the other color at strength 1; if it switches in winter it does so at the same strength.

This represents how nobles (or their heirs) would give alliegance to whichever side most directly affected them at the time. If the father was killed in battle, the son would favor the victor's side; if a noble returned home to find it occupied by the enemy, he would immediately become their best friend and assure them he'd really only been trying to collect useful intelligence for them all along...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are both players supposed to have blocks with the same name? I.E. Both players have a Bruce?

your first game must have been very unique!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think verive & fendwick answered your questions; here's where you can find those answers in the rules (using version 2.3).

1) See 2.22, the part in italics marked "IMPORTANT."

2) See 3.1 for this (the "Both players start a Game Turn by playing one card face-down" bit); also, the bit about the Card Phase in the introduction is pretty emphatic about it being one card.

3) See 5.31; there's also an example there which should help.

Regarding not having anything to reference this against, playing other wargames probably wouldn't have helped with those specific questions. Don't feel like you need to have played other wargames to fully understand or enjoy Hammer of the Scots!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Don't feel like you need to have played other wargames to fully understand or enjoy Hammer of the Scots!

That's true. But regarding the rules to wargames, something which takes time to really "get": Read and interpret them literally.

If it's possible to do what they say, literally, then play it like that. If the literal interpretation isn't possible or really seems wrong, then come and ask the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm still not clear. The fist scenario does not say to remove any blocks. So both players will have 2 Bruces, ect? How do you avoid them being on the table at the same time if one is not removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You set up the pieces according to the scenario instructions. I think the scenario setup is toward the back of the rulebook. I know the last time I played I had a little trouble locating the setup instructions. They are there though and it appears you have not found them.

The rest of the blocks are set aside into 4 separate piles. Each player should have the left over blocks in one pile and another pile of NOBLE blocks that match the nobles the other player has on the map.

NOBLES are special and therefore should be kept in a seperate pile from the other pieces . These NOBLES are a funny bunch of guys. They don't don't fight to the death, just before death the change sides (red to blue or blue to red). So during the game only one NOBLE block may be in play it will be either red or blue but never both. When a NOBLE gets beat down simple look through the pile of NOBLE blocks you set aside and substitute one of the opposite color. You may have noticed that Moray only has only a blue block, that is because he is the exception, when Moray dies he is dead. He's too loyal to switch sides.

NOBLES also can change color during the wintering phases. If a Noble come home during winter to find his homeland occupied by enemy forces, he switched sides (red to blue or blue to red)

Again at no time may both colors of the same NOBLE be in play. That is why I suggested that you keep them in separate pile from the other blocks. This prevents the English player from accidentally drawing a NOBLE as part of the levi and prevent the Scots from "building" them during winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked the most recent rulebook. Page 7

ENGLISH DEPLOYMENT
Place all red blocks in the English
Draw Pool, except deploy at full strength on
the mapboard:
Nobles: All nobles (except Bruce,
Moray, and Galloway) in home areas.
Comyn is deployed in Badenoch.
Lothian: Cumbria Infantry.
Mentieth: Northumber Infantry.
England: Feudal Levy of 4 blocks.
NOTE: Edward I starts play in the English
Draw Pool. Historically, he was fighting in
Flanders in 1297.
SCOTTISH DEPLOYMENT
Remove the King and French Knights
and set aside. Place all other blue blocks
in the Scottish Draw Pool, except deploy at
full strength on the mapboard:
Annan: Bruce.
Galloway: Galloway.
Fife: Wallace, Douglas, & Barclay.
Moray: Moray, Fraser.
Strathspey: Grant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.