Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi all.

we just played recently, and made it all the way to isengard, where the last event came up. The sam player wondered if he could use his one time only ability to avoid the event.

Initally, i said no, since you cant avoid the final big eye event in Mordor, but since the event box at the end of Isengard with the big eye gives you a way out of it anyway, and nothing in the rules with the expansion says you can't, I let him use it.

But then, buried in the expansion rules, under the gandalf card segment, it says "the big eye event cannon be avoided." Does this mean that the ONLY WAY to keep the end of the game from occuring at this point is to pay the event cost in the box? Or can the whole event be avoided? Its unclear to me since the final event box in Isengard dosent just feature a Big Eye, but also some game text that comes before it, which to me means that you dont actually encounter the "big eye" until you deal with the game text that occurs before it. There's a bit of wiggle room there. Not much, but it's there.

And, can somone play the belt card to keep Sam from rolling the die when he uses his one time only power to avoid an event?

Is there any other time, besides the roll after putting the ring on, that the belt CAN'T be used?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:

we just played recently, and made it all the way to isengard, where the last event came up. The sam player wondered if he could use his one time only ability to avoid the event.

No - the big eye event cannot be avoided. The big eye itself can be avoided by following the text of the event, but the event itself cannot be avoided.

Quote:

And, can somone play the belt card to keep Sam from rolling the die when he uses his one time only power to avoid an event?

Is there any other time, besides the roll after putting the ring on, that the belt CAN'T be used?

Yes, someone can play the Belt for Sam with such an effect. No, there is no other restriction other than the one for the ring - and that one exists because you NEED to roll the die to resolve what the ring does.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:

Initally, i said no, since you cant avoid the final big eye event in Mordor, but since the event box at the end of Isengard with the big eye gives you a way out of it anyway, and nothing in the rules with the expansion says you can't, I let him use it. [...]

Again I think on this point the German rules are clearer. They specifically say that only the Gandalf card "Defiance" can not be used to avoid the Big Eye in Isengard. This is because the card is for Sauron movement, and the Big Eye is an end-game trigger. The card "Magic" can be used to ignore it like any other, and Sam's "Bravery" ability can also ignore the Isengard Big Eye which then causes the scenario to end; likewise the One Ring can be used to reach the end of the main activity path. The only reason that nothing can avoid the Mordor Big Eye is because the game ends regardless. It's the last event in the whole game. Once reached, that's it--the only possible consequence is loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon review, I agree with Marty. I responded too quickly above.

From Chris Lawson's expanded rules:

Quote:
The Big Eye, as shown in the last Event in Mordor, causes the game to end instantly. Once encountered, the Big Eye cannot be avoided.

Thus the Mordor Big Eye is unavoidable because it is encountered immediately and cannot be avoided once the event tile is actioned. The Isengard Big Eye is not encountered until after the other text has been resolved, allowing the players to use event ignoring abilities after the event tile has been actioned but before encountering the Big Eye and thus losing the game instantly.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

Yes, someone can play the Belt for Sam with such an effect. No, there is no other restriction other than the one for the ring - and that one exists because you NEED to roll the die to resolve what the ring does.

-MMM

Whoa...wait. Do you mean you can't use the Belt after someone puts the ring on to avoid them rolling the dice and then allowing the ringbearer to leap up four spaces? I don't have my rules handy, but if that's the case I certainly missed that rule in there somewhere.

Gee, we've yet to beat the game on Standard even with this accidental cheat. Yikes. I should add this to the "missed rules during play", surely I can't be the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Franklin - you lose that free pass That would be one helluva belt, otherwise!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Ring requires a die roll to work, otherwise you won't know how far to move. You can, however, use Mythril to avoid the consequences of that roll, or use one of the Gandalf cards (Integrity?) to place the die white-side up and move 4 spaces. Both of those cards modify the roll, but do not avoid it altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.