J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Our group is recovering CCGers, and has sort of drifted apart some. Tim introduced us to a few "eurogames" and that sparked our interest. I made a huge online order and had 20lbs of games arrive via FedEx Saturday afternoon (based on reviews and ratings here on BGG), just in time to read the rules and familiarize myself with the games in time for the four of us -- Tim, Quyen, Denise and John (me) -- to have a huge slug out on Superbowl Sunday. We wound up playing Alhambra, Ra, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Tigris & Euphrates, Elasund, Runebound and Titan: The Arena (individual reports submitted for each game).

3. Ticket to Ride: Europe

While most of us felt this was most "lightweight" of the games we played, it was still very enjoyable, and it was Denise's favorite (she is the only one of us who's been to Europe and knows all the cities!). Denise and I had played the night before, so we had a grasp of the rules, but Tim and Quyen got up to speed quickly. From our 2 player I had some basic strategy, I'm not sure it did me much good. From what I gather, TTR: Europe introduces the Stations, which make completing destinations much easier, a fact that wasn't very evident in a two-player game.

Tim, Quyen and I all made a crucial mistake at the opening -- we all looked at our long routes and though "there's no way I can make that, I better toss this card" so I don't get hit with the penalty.

I horded engine cards (5 of them) under the theory that in a four-player game they'd be more valuable, and I will say they did help me out, sort of. I used a 3 mid-game to claim 2 Ferries for my route card, and I used my last two rush routes around the Black Sea for some late drawn routes. Of course, this strategy helped out my opponents, as Tunnel building almost never cost extra cards. I was in central/northern Europe, so I didn't have much chance to exploit the easier than normal tunneling.

Tim stayed entirely in southern Europe (the side of the board closest to him), I was in northern Europe, and Quyen and Denise were in central. We definitely ignored the Orient until mid-game. Tim was really trying for the 10pt longest train bonus, but got boxed in towards the end of the game, getting stuck in a loop in Greece. Denise was able to pull ahead with a massive Lisbon to Russia route. Denise was also the only one of us to keep her opening route, and late game Train Station completed it and clinched the win for her.

A couple of observations about the physical game -- the scoring track is way too easy to upset, knocking markers around, once during mid-game, and again at end game we did recounts to get the scores correct. Also, it's hard to get a good perspective on the board from sitting down, and you really either needed to stand up and walk around the table to really eye where cities were and how to build to them (unless you wanted to be Tim and just build on your side of the map). Also, I'm red/green color blind, and it was a little hard for me to tell some of the route costs, but the symbols on the tickets and board helped figure them out.

This is one we'll be playing again, especially if we have someone over who's doesn't have much game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wong
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Kudos to Denise for defeating the Chinese train baron. The Great Wall Rail Company ended discarding the super long route that spanned / and kept the other routes that all spanned \. I was able to connect up all three routes to one giantic backbone, kind of like how the BART system is like if you're familar with the bay area. However, I misfigured how important drawing new routes was and misfigured how cycles worked in the longest route prize, allowing Denise to take the lead on longest rail while I was building in circles. I found that the stations were bad, unless you're enabling the super long route, or could complete more than one route with a station connection. Otherwise, they are -4 points to any route you do finish. I suppose that blowing a station to finish an otherwise unfinishable route to avoid the negative points at the end of the game of not finishing a route is fine too. All in all, its a nice, lightweight game that is picked up fairly easily by new players, and allows me to use my bad chinese accent while playing.

Well come to Grate Wawr WailWoad Connecton to Stockholm. Prease have jour tickets redry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
Denise here.

I really do enjoy this game especially since it will always reward me for my 1984 tour of Europe. It doesn't hurt that I am undefeated so far in this game.

The times I have played this game I have had similar long routes. One was from Cadiz to Stockholm. This time was Lisboa to Danzig.

My strategy for this game is always work on the long route and only keep routes that run close to the long route. I probably could try to take a turn and get another route just to see if it helps, but so far I win just sticking to the original route cards.

It helps to lay down cars in such a way that people do not know what you are trying to accomplish. I also keep my eye out for multiple ways to complete my route in case another player cuts me off.

My first goal is to complete all routes, then try to get longest route only after I have completed the routes. This time around I just kept going as soon as I got to Danzig. I also try to avoid tunnels and go for more grey or wild card routes. I try to work with the cards I get and be flexible in completing the routes.

This particular game was the first time I used a train station. When I did so it was towards the end of the game and I was having trouble completing the last leg of my secondary route to Wilmo. Stations should be used sparingly if you can.

I have had the luxury of being left alone in western and northern europe, but it is just a matter of time before they come after me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.