Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I play 1 emissary and 1 house in a region that contains 1 house and 1 emissary already?
The point is, after playing the house, the region can accomodate 2 emissaries. (All four pieces are the same color.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, that's fine. House majority = 2 = maximum number of emisarries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
More precisely, the maximum # emissaries = # houses in majority color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ekted wrote:
Sure, that's fine. House majority = 2 = maximum number of emisarries.

Is this the "official" line?

My co-worker and I played a 4-hand 2-player game (each controlled two colors) today at lunchtime. In several instances, we had this situation (let's say it was Qi):

Blue has 1 house
Green has 1 house
Green has 1 emissary

Blue then has his turn and has the Qi card, plus two of another color. You're saying, then, that he can play the Qi card for a house, then play the two as a wild Qi for an emissary?

We didn't play this way at lunch (essentially we said that majority was determined at the end of a turn--thus, no emissaries could be placed in this fashion), and it was certainly tight but manageable: we both were able to play nearly all of our emissaries by game's end.

I'm fine with either way, but I'd love to know the official line on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always took it that you had to check the limits at the beginning of your turn.

Take for example: you can only place one house in an empty region. If I discard a card to place one house in that region, POOF, the region is no longer empty. Do you think that would then allow me to place another house there? No, so I'm assuming the same rule applies to emissaries. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be a consistent rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Driver 8 wrote:
I always took it that you had to check the limits at the beginning of your turn.

Take for example: you can only place one house in an empty region. If I discard a card to place one house in that region, POOF, the region is no longer empty. Do you think that would then allow me to place another house there? No, so I'm assuming the same rule applies to emissaries. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to be a consistent rule.

Which would still support how we played--in essence, in my example, if blue played another house, at the end of his turn (and the beginning of green's turn) the majority would be Blue 2.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules *seem* to be silent on the matter, leading me to believe that a person could place a house first to increase the majority and then add an emissary to increase the total number of emissaries up to the new house-majority number. The "one and only one piece in a new region" is an explicit rule; the question of whether house majority for emissaries is determined at the start of the turn or immediately before an emissary would be played isn't, as far as I can tell. Thus, in Carl's example, blue could first put a second house down and then add a second emissary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
The rules *seem* to be silent on the matter, leading me to believe that a person could place a house first to increase the majority and then add an emissary to increase the total number of emissaries up to the new house-majority number. The "one and only one piece in a new region" is an explicit rule; the question of whether house majority for emissaries is determined at the start of the turn or immediately before an emissary would be played isn't, as far as I can tell. Thus, in Carl's example, blue could first put a second house down and then add a second emissary.

It's funny how differently we read that. The rule's 'silence' about it made me think that it couldn't be done that way. I suppose it doesn't matter *that* much as long as the rule is consistent. I can see pros and cons of doing it either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Driver 8 wrote:
It's funny how differently we read that. The rule's 'silence' about it made me think that it couldn't be done that way. I suppose it doesn't matter *that* much as long as the rule is consistent. I can see pros and cons of doing it either way.

Indeed--I've always felt that if it isn't explicitly stated in the rules, then either common sense prevails, or you attempt to enforce a rule that would add the most "challenge."

I'm not saying to make a game impossible, but at least not something that's utterly mechanical either.

So in China, we played with the notion that majority is at the beginning of the turn for purposes of Emissary placement, since this would make for agonizing decisions as to whether to place a house if you already have one.

Sure made for a good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, I'm going to jump in here to say this... We played a 4-player game tonight, and it was pathetic playing with the rules of majority is determined at the beginning of the turn.

I've decided that since it's my game, my "house rule" will be to allow a person with 1 house (and the majority) to place a second house and then a second emissary, all on the same turn.

We all got to the point in the game where what one person would do would screw over another person without even intending to, all while helping a third one along.

So while the rules may be silent on the issue, I no longer am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:

I've decided that since it's my game, my "house rule" will be to allow a person with 1 house (and the majority) to place a second house and then a second emissary, all on the same turn.

We've always played the emissaries as you describe here, and it's worked for us!

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schacht
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
someone asked me to comment this.
but i see that you already extracted Carls' and Michaels' rule as house rule.

the original rule is like described before:
Quote:
a person could place a house first to increase the majority and then add an emissary to increase the total number of emissaries up to the new house-majority number.

this is nowhere mentioned in the rule booklet:
Quote:

one last comment:
placing two tiles can't happen in very same moment, you have to place one after another. that changes -of course - the situation.

if you are still unsure about the gameplay ou can try it online on my website www.michaelschacht.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for this clarification! I think that at least 3 threads were ending with interrogation about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.